Issues with Summit bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalleyeGuy

Reaction score
Just bottles my first batch, and most of my bottles are from Summit Brewery. They are a little shorter and fatter than an average, and have a slightly different lip. Wondering if anyone has used these before and if they had any problems?

The bottle caps all seemed to go on OK for the most part...I did have a couple that looked like they weren't wrapped around as tight on one side as the other. However holding the bottle upside down didn't cause any beer to come out.

using the "wing" hand capper, not a bench capper if that makes a difference.

Don't worry, I already relaxed and drank a beer; still curious if anyone else used these bottles.

Most of my bottles are summit bottles. I like em they work well and dont have any problems with em. I hate wing cappers. They suck. Invest in a bench capper it makes bottling so smooth and faster. You'll wonder why you didnt get one from the start

Haven't used Summit bottles myself, but are they the same as the shorter, fatter bottles used by Sierra Nevada, Old Rasputin, etc? Those have always worked fine for me.

If the cap goes on and beer doesn't come out, you should be fine, although putting them in a plastic tote in case of problems is never a bad idea...

Haven't used Summit bottles myself, but are they the same as the shorter, fatter bottles used by Sierra Nevada, Old Rasputin, etc? Those have always worked fine for me.

If the cap goes on and beer doesn't come out, you should be fine, although putting them in a plastic tote in case of problems is never a bad idea...

yes, similar to Old Rasputin.

Beer doesn't appear to be coming out, and I've checked the last couple days. They are in a cardboard box on a cement floor near a drain.

You should be gold then, Ponyboy!

Not that they're the same bottles, but I overcarbed the hell out of a cider once in the Old Rasputin / Sierra Nevada bottles and not a one blew out. You'd get a good volcano every time you opened one but no broken glass. Ever since then I've used them for my higher carbonation styles... (could just be luck/superstition)

I use Summit bottles, but I use a bench capper, not sure about wing capper. Wouldn't imagine there are any issues.

Only thing I hate about them is that the labels SUCK to get off compared to my more regular New Glarus or New Belgium bottles.

Only thing I hate about them is that the labels SUCK to get off compared to my more regular New Glarus or New Belgium bottles.

I read that in another thread too, but I didn't really have any issues getting them off. I filled the laundry tub with summit and new belgium bottles in an oxyclean solution and left it for about a week. Just didn't have time to deal with it, but by the time i got to it all the labels came right off. The Summit's had some glue but was pretty easy to scrub off with a pot scrubbing pad my wife had laying around.

I read that in another thread too, but I didn't really have any issues getting them off. I filled the laundry tub with summit and new belgium bottles in an oxyclean solution and left it for about a week. Just didn't have time to deal with it, but by the time i got to it all the labels came right off. The Summit's had some glue but was pretty easy to scrub off with a pot scrubbing pad my wife had laying around.

It's not as hard as I'm making it out to be I guess. I boiled them for 15 minutes or so in OneStep/1 gallon of water, they didn't slide off like the others. Ended up soaking them for another 15 minutes, scraped off the label with a square edge. Then soaked again and sponged off the glue.

Back