American Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to do something sort of different than my usual citrusy hoppy IPAs and APAs. But not too different! I want some hops, and I was some citrus, but I bought a pound of willamette. I was thinking that maybe a Bell's Amber type beer would be good for fall.

Here's my plan:

7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 62.22 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 17.78 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 8.89 %
1.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 27.6 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

I also have a bit of S05, as I have an APA that I'm kegging today and it's on a S05 yeast cake. I've been liking S04 lately, as it seems to leave a brilliantly clear beer with a very clean taste at 66 degrees.

That's way more crystal than I normally use in any beers- but I like the idea of 20% crystal and the Munich malt along with lots of hops.

Any thoughts, improvements, suggestions?

That's way more crystal than I normally use in any beers- but I like the idea of 20% crystal and the Munich malt along with lots of hops.

I would consider backing the Munich down to 1lb with that much crystal, or vice versa (compensating with a little more 2-row). That amount you have just scares me! :D

But I love the hop schedule!

I would consider backing the Munich down to 1lb with that much crystal, or vice versa (compensating with a little more 2-row). That amount you have just scares me! :D

I know, me too! :D

That's why I'm considering it! You know, break out of my comfort zone a bit, and make a beer that Bob might love.

I know, me too! :D

That's why I'm considering it! You know, break out of my comfort zone a bit, and make a beer that Bob might love.

I did that once and added 2lbs of Victory.......went back to my comfort zone pretty quickly! haha

Let us know how it turns out.

% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
77% 10 0 Pale Malt, 2 Row, US 36 2
8% 1 0 American Crystal 40L 34 40
8% 1 0 Munich Malt - 10L 35 10
4% 0 8 Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L 33 120
4% 0 8 Cara-Pils/Dextrine

This is the malt bill to my Amber i enjoy

% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
77% 10 0 Pale Malt, 2 Row, US 36 2
8% 1 0 American Crystal 40L 34 40
8% 1 0 Munich Malt - 10L 35 10
4% 0 8 Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L 33 120
4% 0 8 Cara-Pils/Dextrine

This is the malt bill to my Amber i enjoy

Hmmm- two pounds of crystal and one pound of Munich for you, too, huh? It sounds like a conspiracy.....................

My house pale ale is 10% crystal, 18% Munich, and uses both US and UK pale malt for the rest.

If I do this amber- it will definitely be the most crystal malt I've ever used.

Yooper,

Will you post your final recipe and results when you take your first sip? Thanks!

I like it. I'd mash it 150 for 90 and use US-05, but then I'm not sure of your expected OG. I'm not even sure of your volume (five gallons?) I shoot for 5.5.

My expected OG would be 1.055 for 5.25 gallons in the fermenter. The IBU/SG ratio is .612.

I like FWH- I haven't noticed a lack of bitterness in any of my other beers but I'll let you know if there is in this one.

I used to think of specialty malts as just a percentage of the grain bill. But now with more experience I believe I need to consider specialty malts more to the final volume.

My last post had most to do with getting the right FG. With a OG of 1.055 a 60 minute mash and S-04 should work well. If I brewed it it would not work out the same.

I used to think of specialty malts as just a percentage of the grain bill. But now with more experience I believe I need to consider specialty malts more to the final volume.

My last post had most to do with getting the right FG. With a OG of 1.055 a 60 minute mash and S-04 should work well. If I brewed it it would not work out the same.

I have a tendency to overattenuate (always have). Even if I shot for a high 1.016, I'd probably still finish at 1.010 or so. I suspect with S04 and a low mash temp, it'll be 1.010 and not even 1.012. At first this was a big issue for me, but for the last few years I just know that I'll get full attenuation expected for the yeast, if not a bit greater.

I'd be scared of that much crystal too. But you certainly know what you're doing, so please let us know how it turns out.

Also, I've used FWH in a TON of beers, including Ambers and haven't had any problem with the bitterness not being pronounced enough.

Cascade and Williamette are a good combo. The bitterness will be fine using FWH with that amount of crystal. Keep us posted on how this turns out.

Looks tasty! A lot like a beer I make for my wife. Mine is Fuggles and Cascade, but with Williamette being a Fuggle derivative, it’s pretty close. You’re calling yours an American Amber, but I’ve considered mine an ESB. I’ve used S-04 and various liquid British yeast. If you go with the S-04 yours may lean toward being an ESB also.

Looks tasty! A lot like a beer I make for my wife. Mine is Fuggles and Cascade, but with Williamette being a Fuggle derivative, it’s pretty close. You’re calling yours an American Amber, but I’ve considered mine an ESB. I’ve used S-04 and various liquid British yeast. If you go with the S-04 yours may lean toward being an ESB also.

Good point! I've made a few ESBs in the past, but usually used EKG or other British hops. It's funny- I don't like fuggles one bit. But I like willamette and EKG very much. To me, fuggles tastes like dirt. I know it's an "earthy" hop, but I seriously taste dirt in the beer that has fuggles. EKG and willamette don't seem to have that dirty taste.

I guess to me it'll be an AAA because I'm using US malt (except for the Munich which is Weyermann's) and US hops even if the color and flavor lean toward an ESB. I also think the high % of crystal will take me closer to Bell's amber. Or at least, I hope!

Just reading the posts makes me realize how different some of us are- Xiang and AnOldUR say "it'll be good", others say "eewwww, too sweet"! I've always been in the "too sweet" camp myself but I really wanted a richer sweeter hoppy beer for Bob. We'll see!

Xiang, if this turns out well, remind me to bring you some in about a month! :D

Xiang and AnOldUR say "it'll be good", others say "eewwww, too sweet"!
There are times when I enjoy a beer like this, but like you, would normally reach for something less sweet. The challenge is to keep a good balance of beer styles on hand to keep everyone happy, especially the spouse.

Interested to hear how this one comes out. I've never brewed anything with that much crystal (at least not in a long while), so be good to hear whether that makes it nice and full-bodied and malty, or if it makes it cloying.

Just did an American Amber myself a few days ago, first batch in a long while for me. 12# of Marris Otter, 3# of Munich I, 1# of Crystal 40°, some Magnum for bittering, and Amarilo/Centennial combination for 10- and 2-minute additions. 1.062 OG (crappy efficiency, which I'm learning to live with) and should be about 42 IBUs.

This is now one of my main house brews:

Big Lighter Amber - 10 Gallon

Stats
OG 1.052
FG 1.011
IBU 23
ABV 5.3 %
SRM 10

12.00 American Two-row Pale
2.00 American Munich (Dark)
1.75 American Crystal 60L
3.00 Flaked Corn
1.00 Flaked Wheat

1.00 Magnum @ 60m
1.00 Hallertau Tradition @ 5m

Whirfloc @ 5m

US-05

Mash = 6.5g
6.5 – (2) = 4.5 12 – 4.5 = 7.5
Sparge = 7.5g
Target Temp = 150*F

:rockin:

Interesting. So, does the corn help to offset the "extra" body from the fairly high level of crystal malt?

The corn does thin it out a bit, and I think gives it a little taste. I have tweaked the recipe a lot, reducing the crystal, increasing the corn, adding the wheat for extra head retention.

I might try some cooked grits in place of some of the flaked corn next.

Timely thread, I need to use up some S-04 and was planning to make an American Amber sort of thing soon. The plan is to use Mt Hood hops and quite a bit at the end (hop-bursted). Prob more finishing hops than the style calls for but w/e. I have other varieties if more appropriate. Tentative recipe is very similar to Yooper's but with a little less crystal (.5 lb each of 20L, 45L, 120L).

Is the recipe in the OP a 5 gal batch? I was trying to deduce the numbers (OG, SRM, IBUs) from the OP but not knowing the batch size makes it a bit difficult. Never had Bell's Amber but I've liked the Bell's beers I've tried so using their beer as an inspiration seems like a good start.

I thought she said it was for a 5.25 gal batch but I could be wrong on that...

Yes, it was. Except, it was actually a 5 gallon batch. The darn summer weather messes with my boil-off!

Well, I boiled it up on Wednesday and I checked on it today. It's at 1.008 (low mash temp, 149) with nottingham yeast. It's super clear, with a beautiful amber color. It's really good- I tried the hydrometer sample and it's darn good! It's not cloying or sweet, and it's got a nice malt and hops balance. It's way early, but it's going to be good.

Now, I don't claim it to be a Bell's clone- as I barely remember what the Bell's tastes like. But it's a pretty darn good beer, as of today, flat and warm.

I think it needs a low mash temp and a well attenuating ale yeast, that's for sure!

Yes, it was. Except, it was actually a 5 gallon batch. The darn summer weather messes with my boil-off!

Well, I boiled it up on Wednesday and I checked on it today. It's at 1.008 (low mash temp, 149) with nottingham yeast. It's super clear, with a beautiful amber color. It's really good- I tried the hydrometer sample and it's darn good! It's not cloying or sweet, and it's got a nice malt and hops balance. It's way early, but it's going to be good.

Now, I don't claim it to be a Bell's clone- as I barely remember what the Bell's tastes like. But it's a pretty darn good beer, as of today, flat and warm.

I think it needs a low mash temp and a well attenuating ale yeast, that's for sure!
Hey, who knew? It is possible to ferment an ale in 4 days.

The recipe looks hoppier* than any Bell's Amber Ale I have ever had, which is an improvement in my book.

*It is possible I am drinking stalish Bell's Amber. The other hoppy Bell's beers I drink are either draught (Two Hearted or Hopslam) or fresh because I wouldn't be able to buy it otherwise (Hopslam).

That seems too dry for an Amber. S-04 would have been better.

Maybe it is too dry. It doesn't taste too dry, at least the way it is now. It's pretty "full" from all of the crystal malt but not cloying. I'll have to see how it is when it's carbed up and finished.

I thought that some dryhopping might really be good in this beer. Of course, the more hops I add, the further from a Bell's amber it will be!

Sounds pretty good, but use a more aggressive bittering hop (1st boil) to balance out the hops and malt. The grain bill is not all that different than Rogue American amber.

1.008 sounds good to me for a sweeter beer, style guidelines be damned! I like just about everything as dry as possible save a couple of german styles.

i just brewed something similar, except using 1lb C80 and 0.5 C40. OG 1.047

I also mashed at 154....we'll see how low it goes.

Yooper, how much longer until this beer is done? I'm curious because I have several crystal heavy batches going in the early stages.

Latest posts

Back