Do you re-use muslin bags?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDogBrewing

Reaction score
I just finished brewing my first batch today, an Enlghish Nut-Brown Ale. My question is, do you thoroughly wash and re-use muslin bags, or do you just toss them? I have some really nice mesh bags that I washed and will re-use, but I'm not sure about the muslin bags. Thanks.

I've re-used muslin bags before. Just rinse them out in the sink and leave them to dry and they're good to go. Once it looks like they're starting to fall apart, it's time to get rid of them.

I toss muslin, they come with the kits so why bother?

If you want to re-use, get a nylon bag.

Sometimes I rinse and reuse them, sometimes not - depends on how many I have at the time. They're cheap enough at 50c apiece or so either way.

I do AG & use the muslin bags for the hops. I've used the same 3 or 4 bags for many, many batches. Just rinse them out & dry them. Hops go on the compost pile & the bags go by the woodstove.

Thanks, the drawstring mesh bags I'll definitely re-use, I just wasn't sure if the muslin was worth the trouble. The shop threw them in with the kit, so I figured they'd do the same next time.

Latest posts

Back