Oktoberfest Ale kit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loup

Reaction score
I got an Oktoberfest extract kit from Midwest Supplies, it came with

9.3lbs Amber LME
8oz Carapils
8oz Caramel 40l
2oz Mt. Hood 4.0%AA
1oz Hallertau 4.4%AA

It says use the following hop schedule
1.5oz Mt. Hood (60min)
1oz Hallertau (5min)

the other .5oz Mt. Hood is extra

After looking at several of the Oktoberfest Ale recipes here and they all show a very different hop schedule, I'm wondering if I would be better off altering my hop schedule a bit.

Right now I'm thinking of adding the extra Mt. Hood for 30 or 40 minutes and maybe adding the Hallertau for 10 minutes instead of 5 but I would appreciate any opinions.

All depends on what you're shooting for.

I don't really go for hop aroma in my o-fests so I would only run a >=30 schedule, keeping an eye on the IBUs

I got an Oktoberfest extract kit from Midwest Supplies, it came with

9.3lbs Amber LME
8oz Carapils
8oz Caramel 40l
2oz Mt. Hood 4.0%AA
1oz Hallertau 4.4%AA

It says use the following hop schedule
1.5oz Mt. Hood (60min)
1oz Hallertau (5min)

the other .5oz Mt. Hood is extra

After looking at several of the Oktoberfest Ale recipes here and they all show a very different hop schedule, I'm wondering if I would be better off altering my hop schedule a bit.

Right now I'm thinking of adding the extra Mt. Hood for 30 or 40 minutes and maybe adding the Hallertau for 10 minutes instead of 5 but I would appreciate any opinions.

What are you using for yeast?

My octoberfests don't have any hops added after 30 minutes. Octoberfests are malty and balanced with bittering hops. There really isn't any hops aroma or hops notes to it. Nobel hops are the ones you want. Here's some BJCP guidelines on an Ofest:

Variation of Vienna Lager produced in the great Bavarian city of Munich. Low malt sweetness with a decided toasted flavor. Medium body. Malty with low bitterness, low hop flavor and low aroma. Moderately alcoholic. Amber to deep copper color. Moderate to high carbonation. No ester, fruitiness or diacytl.

Back