Kegerator tower "up"grade; need tap handle ideas.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danotts

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently upgraded my kegerator by lifting the tower 1.5" so that the faucet will allow pouring into a proper 0.5 L hefeweizen glass.

2598783078_19c7ccd727.jpg

The "lift" is just two pieces of 0.75" thick poplar, glued together, sanded, and rounded over, with some Cabot red mahogany oil based stain and Minwax fast drying polyurethane. I really think it looks nice with the glossy finish along with the rest of the kegerator top and tower.

I also made a tap handle (as seen on the tower), using the same wood and coating. Having stole an idea from the local Gordon Biersch microbrewery, my thought is to get a small chalkboard attached to the tap handle so I can write what's currently on tap. The next picture shows the small chalkboard next to my latest batch of altbier (yum).

2597951549_6df8559d3d.jpg

Can anyone offer a suggestion of how to get the chalkboard onto the tap handle without it looking like it was glued on? The mini chalkboard is about 1/8" thick. I'm specifically looking for ideas around paint, borders, hardware, etc.

Thanks in advance! :mug:

I would probably use a router to inset a square the same size as the chalkboard but a little deeper and glue it into that. Then make a very small bead of black caulk all the way around to hide the seam.

Of course, since its black anyway, you could just paint the whole thing with chalkboard paint.

Four small chrome philips head screws, one in each corner of the chalk board.

I'd use electric guitar pickguard screws, personally, but only because I have them on hand. Any small wood screw should work just fine. Just pre-drill the chalk board to make sure everything is lined up properly.

Four small chrome philips head screws, one in each corner of the chalk board.

I'd use electric guitar pickguard screws, personally, but only because I have them on hand. Any small wood screw should work just fine. Just pre-drill the chalk board to make sure everything is lined up properly.

Great idea! I think the screws will distract the eye away from the uninteresting sides of the little chalkboard. I will see what's available in chrome, stainless, and maybe an antiqued copper. Overall, I think chrome will go the best with the tower and faucet though.

Back