Ginger & Banana Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew chick

Reaction score
Iv'e been ask'd for a recipe for Ginger and banana wine by "home brew"so i'm gona put it up here for all,feel free to add or comment-as you please.
MAKE'S ONE IMP GALLON
medium dry white wine

75g fresh root ginger
450g chopped sultanas
900g bananas
1.1kg white sugar
5g citric acid
5g yeast nutrient
5g pectic enzyme
use your own fav white wine yeast.
(1)break the root ginger into pieces,and put it with the chopped sultanas and sugar into a fermenting bucket.pour on 2.8ltr of boiling water,and stir well to dissolve sugar.peel and chop bananas into small pieces and boil them in a half ltr of water for twenty mins.
(2)strain the banana liquid into bucket. cool to 70f add rest of ingredients and yeast starter then cover the bucket and leave for four days,stirring twice daily.
(3)strain the liquid into a demijohn,fit an airlock.after about four weeks fermentation should have stop't.rack off into another demijohn,add a crushed campden tablet,top up with water and refit airlock.
Rack again in about six months,its ready to drink then.
PS. excellent as a "hot toddy":ban:
hope you enjoy it! claire

Weird timing! I've just been given a pound and a half of fresh ginger root for free on Saturday! It looks good for a Medium/dry White however I'm personally not keen on big banana flavours - either in beer (Wells Banana Bread) or wine (My teenage memories of Spanish Liqueurs).
The excellent as a "hot toddy" almost sells it to me though.....:rockin:

Don't fret about the banana taste ,as with most wines the finnish'd wine tastes nothing like the ingredients used(except in this case ginger is the flaver your after) the banana's are add'd to give extra body to the finnish'd wine/trust me you wont know :ban: is in there.(sorry i just had to slip it in there)

I recognise that ginger wine recipe. It's originally from the book, 'A Step By Step Guide To Making Home Made Wine', by Judith Irwin. I'm making it right now, as a matter of fact.

Back