ESB - hops advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PNWgirl

Reaction score
I am looking to brew an ESB on Sunday and the only hops available for this style at my LHBS was Fuggles.... I was hoping to use EK Goldings (or any other Goldings, if needed) but alas there was none to be found. So I bought some Fuggles, and I also have Northern Brewer hops on hand.

Any recommendations on additions?

Bitter with the NB and use the Fuggles for flavor/aroma.

This is just how it is going to be for the time being I am afraid. I am a bit of an EKG nut. It is my favorite hop without a doubt. A year ago I would have told you a bitter is not a bitter without EKG. However, I am down to just a couple of ounces and could not find any more for any kind of decent price, so I bought 10 oz of Fuggles to hold me over. Hopefully they come back.

Sounds good - fuggles are what I usually use for aroma in English style ales

No Fuggles or EKG where I shop - the bitter in my primary used Nugget for bittering and Willamette for aroma. But I feel OK about considering Willamette was developed from Fuggles.

Use the NB for bittering. You'll probably have to reduce the amount a bit to get the IBUs right, but NB is recommended for ESB, bitter, English pale ale and porters.

Cool, thanks for all the advice!

I know that Fuggles and NB are fine for the style (and even Williamette and Challenger), I just love the EKG and haven't read too many recipes without them.

Even though the shortage might be a pain sometimes, it is forcing us all to get creative, eh?

:)

creative or spendy.
im making an ESB in about a month or so, this thread is perfect timing. I believe mine is going to be bittered with Target and then probably some Challenger for flavor and Willamette for aroma.

I've tried an ESB with Willamette and Tettnang, and it was pretty darn good. As long as you get a good balance, use the hops that you like, don't worry too much about adhering to a style.

Back