Failed All Grain Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1984CJ

Reaction score
I tried my first solo all grain batch and I failed.

May I get some advice from you guys.

I am using a williams mash system(Plastic bucket with false bottom, insulation for mash tun, Phils sparge arm and plastic sparge tank).

The failure was that I could not get the mash tun to drain. I tried dumping the grains in another bucket and then back. I tried stirring. I tried bumping the false bottom. I checked to ensure that the tubing from the mash tun was clear.
I gave up :mad:

What should I do different for my next batch?

Thanks....

I hope you didn't throw it out.

I have used a simple strainer for mine and had no problems.

Did you mash oats or anything unusual?

Add your location, perhaps you can get hands on instruction.

I too had lots of problems with my first all grain attempt last week , the seive I was using fell to bottom of the tun, the pump i was using to sparge blocked up . but I saved the grains to make a bread loaf or two and decided to go through the whole process of mashing , straining and sparging and corrected a whole lot of problems and I hope that now on my next all grain I wont have too many disasters, the bread was a bit heavy though but eh !

I'm using the bucket system too, and mashing in a stovetop tun that I can apply heat to when needed. I've used it three times now with huge success.

How big are the holes in the bottom of the inside bucket? And how many? There should be a bunch of 'em; they must be drilled from the inside of the bucket to the outside, or your hot wort will cause the plastic "pooched" out by the drill bit to soften and collapse back together, sealing the hole (this stopped me cold on my second batch, and I had to transfer the wort out and drill more holes.) They shouldn't be any bigger than 1/8".

How are you crushing your grain? If you're going Corona, it's tragically easy to end up with barley flour, which will plug you right up.

Lots of huskless grain will give you fits as well.

Is your mash too thick? When it goes in the bucket, it should be like thin gruel, not thick pasty oatmeal.

Good luck! Once you get this dialed in, you'll be amazed how much fun it is. I'm doing my fourth lautering this weekend for a stout that won't be fermented -- I'm just gonna can the runnings in pint Masons to drink just like that. Yummy!

--Finn

Back