What Ingredients to start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEND

Reaction score
Alright, I'm going in a couple of hours to get my equipment and ingredients for my first batch. Could someone tell me what sort of ingredients I should get, and recommend what type of beer I should start with. I'm thinking of doing an IPA or an Amber Ale or Red Ale. Would these be fairly easy or should I start with something else? I'm wanting to just do an all extract recipe.
Thanks a lot guys, you've been really helpful and I can't wait to start tonight. :D

Any ale would be pretty easy as a first brew. You only have to decide which one you like the taste of the best. I have no experience with Lagers and from the folks here sounds as if it not a good choice for a first brew. You want to get an equipment kit and a brew kettle. Why dont you start with a comercial beer you love and want to improve on. Tell the person selling you the stuff that you love "...." and want to make something like it.

IPAs are really easy, because you can always dry hop with two oz. of Cascades and people will like it.

8 pounds pale LME
2 oz. of a high AA hop (Galena, Columbus, etc.) at 60 minutes
1 oz. aroma hop (Cascade, EKG, fuggles, mt. hood) at 15 minutes
1 oz. aroma hop (Cascade, EKG, fuggles, mt. hood) at 5 minutes

Yeast: just about any dried yeast or neutral liquid yeast works

Bah, they had closed 5 minutes before I got there, looks like no brewing until tommorow morning :( . Thanks for the recipes guys, and please keep them coming, I've found lots of IPA recipes are their any simple ones for either of the others?

I don't see how you could go wrong with an Amber or IPA. Hopefully the HBS will have a good starting kit. My 2nd brew was an extract kit with some grains for steeping and I could tell that it is going to be much better than the first batch. The hardest thing is waiting.

You can't go wrong with David's reciipe above. It will give you something just a bit better (i.e, hoppier, sharper) than you would likely get from a prepackaged kit, but one of those would be fine too.

For a small bit of added adventure, ask your HBS guys about using steeping grains as well. They allow you to add a LOT of variation onto the basic recipes, and if rumors are true, they also contribute proteins that help your beer's head hold up.

I ended up doing a Red Ale, that the guy at my HBS helped me with. Next though I'm going to try David's recipe, just one thing which of the hops goes in first, when you say
2 oz. of a high AA hop (Galena, Columbus, etc.) at 60 minutes
does that mean right at the beginning or right at the end of the boil?
Thanks again guys!

Back