brew is flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subwyking

Reaction score
both batches of our brew are on the flat side. the xmas ale has only been in bottles for a week, so that is to be expected. but the dirt floor wheat has been bottled for about a month and some change now. searched the forums before i posted this, and have eliminated the "not enough corn sugar" and "sanitizing solution not rinsed well" immediately. im thinking its because the room we have it stored in is too cold. its about 55-60 degrees in there. if i move the bottled brew to a warmer place in the house will this revive the dormant yeast and give me some more carb? someone please help us save our beer from the flat fairy. remember the beer people.

thats definitely a liitle cold for carbonation. the yeast is still active, so put it in a place around 70 degrees for a week or two and it will carbonate. then put it back at 55-60.

ok so yeast is dormant, not dead. thats good, no thats great. now the beer is boxed in 12 pack commercial boxes. can i put this beer in a place anywhere in the house, or do i still need to be concerned with sunlight? the high here has been about 25 degrees here for the last 3 weeks.

subwyking said:
ok so yeast is dormant, not dead. thats good, no thats great. now the beer is boxed in 12 pack commercial boxes. can i put this beer in a place anywhere in the house, or do i still need to be concerned with sunlight? the high here has been about 25 degrees here for the last 3 weeks.
You don't want your beer exposed to sunlight, but if it's in a box that shouldn't be a problem...if the box doesn't hava a top just throw a towel over it.

I am having the same problem! I have a Christmas brew that has been bottled for 3 weeks now and is still pretty flat......we keep our home around 65-67 degrees, but I don't think that is warm enough is it? So where can I move this beer so it gets warmth so the yeast will work it's magic......gesshhh...I am ready to drink but the yeasties won't let me savor this good stuff......

GABrewboy - Maybe the best solution is to put the ale in the smallest room of the house and use an electric heater to warm it up a bit. Or in a closet with a heating pad.

Yeah, I thought of that as well! I think I will have to give one of those two things a try........Thanks

i moved the beer off of the floor, threw a blanket over it, and opened the door to the room we have it in. put a thermometer there and this morning its at a nice 71 degrees. hopefully this should do it.

Back