high fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centralpabrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a english bitter style ale. I pitched the yeast, and before I could check on it again, the temperature of the wort had risen to 80F. I tried to cool it down, but could only get it down a few degrees (Summer brewing is a problem for me, as my house is not air conditioned). I put it in a tub of water and added ice packs every few hours, but the temp hovered around 78F. After a week, I racked it into the secondary and when finished I kegged it and force carbonated.

The beer tastes ok, in fact it tastes pretty darn good. I brewed this batch to take to a pig roast. My question is this. Since it fermented at such high temps, could there be any residual toxins or nasties etc. that would harm someone who may drink it in excess?

It really depends on the yeast as to how it'll turn out, but there's nothing from high fermentation temps that could be toxic, but it could produce fusel alcohol and maybe some other things that can make it taste "off". If it tastes fine, I wouldn't worry about it. Next time look for yeast that tolerate high temps. For example I know Safale S-05 is good up to 75' and Coopers is good up to 80'.

centralpabrewer said:
I brewed a english bitter style ale. I pitched the yeast, and before I could check on it again, the temperature of the wort had risen to 80F. I tried to cool it down, but could only get it down a few degrees (Summer brewing is a problem for me, as my house is not air conditioned). I put it in a tub of water and added ice packs every few hours, but the temp hovered around 78F. After a week, I racked it into the secondary and when finished I kegged it and force carbonated.

The beer tastes ok, in fact it tastes pretty darn good. I brewed this batch to take to a pig roast. My question is this. Since it fermented at such high temps, could there be any residual toxins or nasties etc. that would harm someone who may drink it in excess?

There are no toxins produced in the brewing process except for a minute amount of methanol (you get more from a glass of orange juice) and coginers( fusels ) at high temps.:) RDWHAHB! :tank:

Back