Hillcrest Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hop_Hero

Reaction score
Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WLP 001 Cal Ale
Yeast Starter: 1.5 Liter
Batch Size: 5.5 Gal
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 35
Boil Time: 60 min
Color: 12 SRM
Primary Fermentation: 7 days @69
Secondary Fermentation 14 days @69

Ingredients
======================================
6.00 lbs Golden Light LME
1.50 lbs Golden Light DME

0.50 lb CaraPils (steeped)
0.50 lb Crystal 20L (steeped)
0.50 lb Crystal 40L (steeped)

Hops (Whole Leaf)
0.50 oz Simcoe at 60 min
1.00 oz Cascade at 15 min
1.00 oz Cascade at 5 min
0.50 oz Simcoe at 0 min

1.00 oz Simcoe dry hopped

Other
1 teaspoon Irish Moss at 20 min

Notes
Start with 5 gal. of 150° F water. Steep crushed grain for 30 min. Sparge grains with enough 170° F water to make 5.5 gal.

Bring water to a boil add 6 lbs LME and 0.50 oz Simcoe Hops

At 20 minutes, add Irish moss

At 15 minutes add 1.00 oz Cascade

At 10 minutes, add remaining DME (using same procedure as above). Add 1.00 oz Cascade

At 0 minute, add 0.50 oz of Simcoe
This is the first recipe I've "kind of" put together. I used a BYO malt bill for American Pale Ale II and the Hop Schedule from a recipe on here that I'll link later.

Hops are all lined up!

image-1907463792.jpg

It's at 6 days of primary fermentation. I added 1 oz Simcoe whole hops for dry hopping. Gravity was at 1.016 but I've kept it really cool around 66F but now I'm going to let it get up to 69-70. I like to add my dry hops towards the end of fermentation rather than when it's stopped. A pro brewer told me it will clean up a little more.

Keep us updated on how this goes. I'm trying to put together a recipe for a pale ale (see here ...still trying to figure it out if you have any thoughts) It's similar to yours in that it's an extract and about the same OG and IBU, but different hops. I'm still trying to figure out the hopping schedule and steeping grains. If you're happy with your recipe, I'd like to piggy-back off it.

I'd also have to bring the boil volume down to less than 5.5, as my brew pot isn't big enough to boil 5.5 gallons.

John

Keep us updated on how this goes. I'm trying to put together a recipe for a pale ale (see here ...still trying to figure it out if you have any thoughts) It's similar to yours in that it's an extract and about the same OG and IBU, but different hops. I'm still trying to figure out the hopping schedule and steeping grains. If you're happy with your recipe, I'd like to piggy-back off it.

I'd also have to bring the boil volume down to less than 5.5, as my brew pot isn't big enough to boil 5.5 gallons.

John

I think the timing on my hop schedule is pretty standard. Steeping grains the same.

I sampled my beer today when I added the dry hops and its a little darker than I'd like and not as bitter as I'd hoped. We'll see when its finished but use the recipe. That's why it's here!

I'd recommend getting a bigger kettle though. i have a 7.5 gallon kettle and with extract I've noticed a big difference between partial boils and full boils. But it also requires a propane burner. I bought a bigger kettle knowing in a year I'd be upgrading to all grain.

I'm only two batches into this hobby so my equipment is still at entry level status. Hopefully I'll start building up some equipment, maybe starting with a larger pot and burner, but we'll see. I'm still too much of a novice to even know what I need to brew better beer.

I bottled this yesterday. The FG was 1.011 coming in at 6.1 ABV. It had a great fruity aroma. It wasn't as bitter as I expected. If I use whole hops again I will probably do 25% more. We'll see in a couple weeks once it's carbed.

image-3488608234.jpg
Here is the finished product! Excellent pale ale! It has a piney aroma, clean bitterness with notes of grapefruit.

I just entered it into a local competition.

I entered this beer in a local club competition. It scored a 32. Not bad but not good either. Judges said wasn't hoppy enough for an america pale ale and would of done better as english pale ale. Using pellets instead of while hops might have helped as well. I ordered my all grain setup and will rebrew this again but up the late addition hops.

On paper, it has the bitterness of an APA, but I suppose that bitterness isn't the same as hoppiness. Well, if you are looking to get rid of it, you can send it my way...I'd be happy to drink it for you. :D

I rebrewed this but changed it up a little bit. This was my first AG batch and it came out amazing! It's a lot lighter than the last batch but even better! I bittered with magnum instead of Simcoe but kept everything else the same! I also used pellet hops instead of whole hopes.

Recipe: Hillcrest Pale Ale
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.20 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 7.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 2.9 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.8 %
14.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.0 %
12.8 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.2 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 23.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [7.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 3.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 7.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [7.20 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 7 0.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.20 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 8 0.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 9 -
0.75 oz Cascade [7.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.20 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 14.1 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 16.10 qt of water at 163.1 F 150.0 F 75 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 4.97 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMG_1936.jpg

Looks pretty good! I'm going to keep this one on the back burner, so to speak, and maybe brew it in the future.

I'm working on my next pale ale (extract) and am going to steep Munich 10L and, Crystal 10L, and Carapils for a pretty light color (SRM 6.5). I've got 2oz of Citra and 2oz of Zythos, because Amarillo wasn't available at my local store, and am trying to figure out my hop schedule. What's the difference between a 60 min bitter hop addition and a first wort addition? Is it that in a first wort you add before boil and a regular bittering hop addition you at when it begins boiling, and what effect does this have?

I'm also going to try the Wyeast American Ale II 1272, just for the heck of it.

Thanks,
John

FWH is a smoother bitterness. I always fwh. I throw my hops in the wort while bringing it to a boil. Usually takes about 15 min.

Back