Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DagoBrewer

Reaction score
I recently bought a "brew filter" from homebrewstuff.com witch is as many know just a under the counter water filter. I bought some 5 micron filters but not sure if its either the wrong filter or its just a bunch of bs. I pushed 5 gallons of ipa that cold crashed for 4 days thru it at 4 psi and the beer in my serving keg looks the same as it did before going thru the filter. Any suggestions? Thanks!

add_more_hops.gif

You need a 1 micron filter to take out the yeast and <.5 to take out bacteria.

BBBF said:
You need a 1 micron filter to take out the yeast and <.5 to take out bacteria.

Thanks for the info! I was suspecting my filter was to "corse"...
Can i just use the .5 to filter both yeast and bacteria at the same time?

I've only used coarse plate filters that are rated 3-7 microns nominal, and the beer comes out crystal clear. In the Yeast book from Chris White it says yeast cells are 5-10 microns. Maybe what your seeing isn't yeast, maybe it's some unconverted starches, or a chill haze. Here's a link to a pic of a coarse plate filtered beer, that was dry hopped with plenty of pellets, and used a very low flocculating yeast
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/new-post-picture-your-pint-285100/index52.html#post4434906

Thanks for the info! I was suspecting my filter was to "corse"...
Can i just use the .5 to filter both yeast and bacteria at the same time?

First, I'm going to have to admit that I'm in the same position as you. I've built my filter and I'm going to try it out out with the 5 micron first. Mostly because it came with the housing and I just want to practice filtering a less expensive beer with it before filtering my meads with a 1 micron.

But I have been researching the filter on some wine sites and they through out the 1 and .45 microns.

If you practiced good sanitation and it's only for personal consumption, you might not want to bother with the .45. I think they are more expensive, but if you insist, I would just use the one filter. Also, .45 might begin stripping things from the beer that you want to remain. In wine, reds only use 5 micron filters and whites use 1 micron.

BBBF said:
If you practiced good sanitation and it's only for personal consumption, you might not want to bother with the .45. I think they are more expensive, but if you insist, I would just use the one filter. Also, .45 might begin stripping things from the beer that you want to remain. In wine, reds only use 5 micron filters and whites use 1 micron.
Yeah, i used the 5 cuz it came with it and bought a 4 pack at the same time i ordered it so i didnt know the difference. I think ill try the 1 micron next time. Thanks for the advice!

Back