Heatstick safety question - JB weld seepage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randomsample

Reaction score
Hello all,

I followed the directions on this site:
Heatstick - home

to build my heatstick, with the exception that I chose a drain pipe with a 90 degree bend at the bottom. Because of this difference, I used more JB-Weld than is called for (around 4 oz instead of 2). I also upped the acetone in accordance with the manufacturers recommendation (1 tsp per 2 oz), though it was crudely measured.

The assembly went as expected, and lacking a wrench big enough to tighten the slip reducer, I cranked it on as hard as I could by hand. This morning, I noticed that the JB-Weld had seeped through the threads at the bottom of the heat stick, and had left a puddle of hard rubbery grey matter on the bottom of the bucket it was sitting in. I peeled it off as much as I could, but there's still some on the outside of the heat stick.

I have a couple questions:

1. Do you think the JB-Weld made a good seal anyway?
2. How hazardous is the exposed material?
3. Can I dab silicone in the threading to improve the seal?
4. Am I totally screwed?

I bought the materials at ace hardware, and all told it came to around $80, so if this is salvageable I'd like to know.

I also tried the acetone method with a 90° bend. After 3 days of curing, I tested the stick, my GFCI kept tripping. After cutting the stick apart, the center of the J-B weld was still wet (4 days later). I then sealed the element this way -> https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/heatstick-awesome-142803/index28.html#post1839989 only instead of a coupler, I used heavy tape around the element terminals. After it cured, I placed in the ell & sealed with plumbers epoxy. After several batches it is still working fine.

I did almost exactly as djt17, potted the electrical connections with JB-Weld, then sealed everything up with Aquarium Grade Silicone Sealant. They have not leaked since I've done this.

Latest posts

Back