Attaching Drill to malt mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steampunk

Reaction score
I know stupid question, but how do I attach my drill to my new malt mill?

Is there a special attachement for the drill? If so any pics or letting me know what its called would save my shoulder a lot of post brew day stiffness.

Just remove the handle then the shaft the handle was attached to insert into the drill just like it was a drill bit and tighten up. No special attachment needed. If the shaft will not fit in the drill you need a different drill.

What mill do you have? The roller mills I've seen, and used, have either 3/8" or 1/2" shafts on the roller that you connect either a drill, or motor, to. If you have a decent drill, you're in business. I use my 18v DeWalt cordless with a 1/2" chuck (keyless of course) to power my mill and my brew-buddy's mill. My Monster Mill MM2-2.0 has a 1/2" shaft that works really well with my drill.

Yep, remove the handle on the mill and chuck a drill do it. I have a Barley Crusher and I ended up buying a 6 amp Black N Decker drill to go with it. I have a 12v cordless, wasn't enough power. Tried my dad's corded, not enough power and I couldn't chuck it tight enough. The Black N Decker chucks like vise and has plenty of power.

Hey golddiggie what speed do you run your Dewalt at? I just ordered a cereal crusher mill and will be driving it with my 18V dewalt. Thanks

Lowest speed range, at about 1/2 speed. The low range is 0-500rpm, so that puts it in the ~250rpm range. I get great results with the mills that my drill powers this way. That's both mine and my brew-buddy's mill. Also includes the BC I had before getting the Monster...

Back