American IPA Wolf ***** IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rawxor

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WYeast 1056 American Ale Yeast (Smack pack)
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Safale US-05 Dry Ale Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
12 HCU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 - 14 days
Tasting Notes
This beer has an absolutely great aroma. The Simcoe hops are excellent at providing a
Hey guys. This is the first time I've posted a recipe, so forgive me if the format is a bit off. I'm hoping that someone else could brew it and tell us what they think of it. We've brewed it three times now and it always comes out great.

We'd also be interested in doing an all grain version of this at some point if anyone could help convert it to an all grain recipe.

Name:
Wolf Pussy IPA
(Sucks that i can't put it's name in the title of the post)

Size:
5 gallons

Boil:
3.3 lb. Light malt extract
2.7 lb. Amber malt extract
2 lb. Raspberry Honey (5 minutes left on boil)

Grain:
0.75 lb. 53-61L German Crystal
0.25 lb. French Kiln Coffee

Hops:
1 oz. Columbus (12% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (5% AA, 40 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (5% AA, 20 min.)
0.5 oz. Simcoe (12% AA, 5 min.)
0.5 oz. Simcoe (12% AA, 0 min.)
1 oz. Simcoe (Dry hop)

Yeast:
WYeast 1056 American Ale Yeast (Smack pack)
Safale US-05 Dry Ale Yeast
(yes, two yeasts)

Instructions:
1) Bring a gallon or so of water to a boil, remove flame and at around 160° add the grain. We used a grain bag. Let it steep for about 45 minutes.
2) Remove the grain and bring it to a boil again and remove flame, add extracts, stir until dissolved and bring it to a boil again.
3) When the foam has subsided a bit, start the hops schedule
4) With 15 minutes left on the boil add Irish moss
5) With 5 minutes left on the boil add the honey

Fermentation:
1) We put both of the yeasts in the primary and let it ferment for about 2 weeks - obviously this time may vary. Just be sure that it's done fermenting before going to the next step.
2) Transfer to secondary and add 1 oz. Simcoe dry hops. Let it dry hope for at least a week. We've done it with pellets and leaf and prefer the leaf hops for dry hopping.

History:
This was the first beer that my brew friends and I did without an existing recipe. We just walked into the brew shop and picked out ingredients for an IPA. It was also our first attempt at dry hopping. Much to our delight it turned out absolutely great. We drank it on my birthday with an entire party of people - sadly 5 gallons were gone in a matter of a few hours it was so popular. The name comes from a funny comedian :) look it up.

Tasting notes:
This beer has an absolutely great aroma. The Simcoe hops are excellent at providing aroma. It has a decent floral scent to it with just the right amount of citrus flavor. The honey sweetens up just enough. You'll smell and taste this beer in your mouth\nose for a few hours after drinking it. It's a very well balanced IPA. We turned a lot of people into IPA drinkers with this beer.

I like the sound if this. I will be making a batch soon, within the month and bi believe this will be it.
I will change at least the honey, raspberry honey is pricey here so I will sub for mesquite honey.
Excited to try, my just call mine Wolf Star :)

I like the sound if this. I will be making a batch soon, within the month and bi believe this will be it.
I will change at least the honey, raspberry honey is pricey here so I will sub for mesquite honey.
Excited to try, my just call mine Wolf Star :)

How was it? I'm brewing this again (for the ~10th time or so) next weekend.

Latest posts

Back