24 hours between Mash and Boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pavyaz19

Reaction score
My friend and I like to do marathon brew days where we brew 3 batches in a row (maybe that's the norm for the rest of you?). We have 2 brew kettles but only one mash tun. Of course we could get a second mash tun or do an extract brew in between, but for the short term, we're thinking of mashing all of it one day and then boiling the next.

Should there be any fear in letting the wort sit for 24 hours before boiling?

So far, I can't think of a reason.

Thanks!

if you search the forum, you will find lots of threads about a delayed boil. i've personally never gone 24 hours, but i suspect that you could. i also suspect you will get a lot of people pipe up and say "DON'T DO IT!" even though they haven't tried it themselves. i've gone 8-12 hours with no problems.

If you want to give it a shot, you increase your chances of pulling it off if you simply: 1. Heat up your wort to 170-180F to kill of lacto and other potential bugs. 2. Keep it covered to maintain sanitation.

let us know how it works out.

Thanks for the help, not sure what we'll end up doing. I always search the forums before posting, in the case however, I had no idea what terms to search. The similar threads below make me feel like a moron, sorry.

I would just do all three in one day. Once you have the first batch in the kettle, start the mash for the second. The boil and mash are just about the same time. If you start early enough, there should be plenty of daylight to brew 3 batches.

If I'm not mistaken, it will almost convert it to a sour mash. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Back