Please grade my crush.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pernox

Reaction score
Tried grinding my own grain for the first time this evening - some Canadian Pale. Having only done one AG brew before, I'm not sure what a "good" crush looks like in person. I ordered my grains crushed from Rebel Brewer, and managed an 84% efficiency on the stove top, so I guess their crush is pretty good. The crush I have here looks similar to the pics I'm seeing, but a little reassurance would be... Well... Reassuring. =)

Thanks in advance for any experienced grain persons who leave their commentary!

IMAG0316.jpg

IMAG0317.jpg

IMAG0318.jpg

looks pretty good. The bottom of the first picture looks like you may have some uncracked hulls although i cant tell if the hulls just came off completly or if the kernals are uncracked. Otherwise looks pretty good.

looks pretty good. The bottom of the first picture looks like you may have some uncracked hulls although i cant tell if the hulls just came off completly or if the kernals are uncracked. Otherwise looks pretty good.

Thanks for the input. A couple of those are whole kernels, and a couple have been pinched empty. Maybe I'll adjust down a little - it seemed too floury to me on the tighter setting, but I am batch sparging with bags, sooo...

Thanks for the feedback and the eye candy.

I wound up going a little finer, brewing, and apparently butchering my weight measurements because the calculator I used tells me I got 98% efficiency.

dont fear the flour. there should be a fair amount of it but you should go as fine as possible without getting stuck mashes

dont fear the flour. there should be a fair amount of it but you should go as fine as possible without getting stuck mashes

+1. Since I've been milling my own grain, I've made a nice jump in efficiency. More importantly, it's been consistent over the last 10 batches or so. And I do have some flour in mine. I use a rectangular cooler for a mash tun and have a CPVC manifold with small holes on the bottom. Never had a stuck mash.

Your crush: B+ I saw some whole grains

Your photos: C - Man I couldn't tell if I was drunk or the photos are just super blurry and your dept of field is way out of whack. Try increasing your aperture:)

Just my 2 bits

Back