wow, what a disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chormang

Reaction score
So I was getting ready to bottle my second batch, an irish stout. I had siphoned about 2 gallons into the bottling bucket when I realized I had forgotten to add the priming sugar. So I pull the siphon tube out of the bottling bucket and sort of hang it over the side of the primary while I go to the kitchen to get the sugar ready. When I came back I saw that the end of the hose had fallen out and siphoned about 3 gallons of beer onto the floor. Needless to say, I was devastated.

Now most of the replies to mistakes in this section are 'don't worry, it won't matter' ...

but this one - IS SOMETHING TO WORRY ABOUT!:D

Don't do it again!

It makes me shudder to think of all those pints lost ...

YeastGardener.

- ONE mistake that I DIDN'T copy as a total noob.

- this isn't an 'irish' joke now is it? No, it can't be, an irish stout is too precious!

Ouch! That sounds like something I would do. I'll watch out for that in the future. My siphoning tube has some sort of a pinch stop on it. Maybe you should invest in one of those.

OT LGI - You need to get back to the Time Machine quick! You're almost 100% faded! Or is it your parents who are back in time screwing up your existence?

Just for future reference, you can dissolve the priming sugar in a little hot water, then add it to the bottling bucket any time in the process. Before you siphon or after, doesn't matter.

If you buy a new mop, sanitize it, then squeeze your stout back into a bucket, you can just call it filtered. (For 3 gallons, I don't care, I'd be trying anything to save it.)

Its devastating losing a good homebrew! I have messed up a few in my short time of home brewing, I am still a beginner. I had to throw out a whole batch because I added priming sugar without racking to a bottling bucket. Lets say I had champagne beer! Oh My! Onto my 6th Batch, second IPA hoping it will turn out. First IPA was great! Cheers!

I would have grabbed a straw and started drinking!! I don't ever mind the flat beer I taste when taking samples I actually love it. I mean cold carbed I love more. But with a straw and some determination. I think I could of sucked up at least a gallon 2 a gallon and a half.

Considering this thread was from almost FOUR YEARS AGO.... I'd say that it's a lost cause now.

haha.... never checked the date! Hope he did something with it yet as it could be smelling bad on the floor :)

Back