I'm very excited!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontman

Reaction score
I just learned of the results for my first contest entry in about 15 years amd my entry won the top spot for the English Pale Ale category at the War of the Worts in Eastern PA.

I was worried that they might judge it to be in the wrong category because I did use some Cascades in the aroma addition of hops.

In fact, when I posted the recipe in the HBT recipe section I put in the APA category. I think I'll ask one of the mods to change it the English Pale Ale section.

Edit: The switch has been made. Red Dog ESB is now the English Pale Ale section.

Looks like it was already done.

Now get over there and post your accolades. We'll need to compare notes on your version and my Captain Hooked on Bitters that just qualified for Nationals.

I have not received the feedback sheet. I just realized that the results were posted online and saw my name at the top of EPA table. I am now even more eager to see the feedback sheet.

I will be entering a Belgian Triple and a Northern English Brown into the NHC.

Congrats!
What made you decide to enter a contest after so many years?

Thanks Revvy.

Janet,

I took a long break from brewing due to some health issues.

In fact, my last entry into a Home Brew competition was in 1994 and I took second place overall (out of 70+ entries) in that show with a Crystal Honey Ale .

Now I've got the bug again. :)

I picked up my Blue Ribbon today. Pretty!

I also picked up my comment sheets. Not as pretty. Though they were exactly in line with what I determined for the beer. Surprisingly so. But the judges dinged me harder than I dinged myself . The other common comment from the two was excellent flavor but could use a bit more oomph. I took this to mean in the malt department.

The primary issue was that the beer was a touch dry to style. I agreed and actually had planned on going 4 pts higher in FG than I finished (I wanted 1.012 but got 1.008) I think my thermometer was a degree or two off. Aside from that it got very high marks for hops bitterness and aroma and brilliant clarity which was pleasing because the only finings I used was seaweed and time.

I plan on making this with all Maris Otter as the base and mashing at 155 with everything else being the same next time. But first I'm making me some "Cream of Three Crops" with wheat subbed in for rice.

Back