Michigan micro vacation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sterling214

Reaction score
SWMBO and I are planning a vacation this spring to hit some of the brewpubs and tasting rooms here in Michigan. We are looking for really good food and beer in a casual friendly atmosphere. Dinner must be at a place that has a nice hotel in walking distance. So far we are thinking Founders for lunch one day, then down to the Waldorf for dinner and an evening of fun. Also we are thinking of New Holland for diner at least one night, and doing their brewery tour. We haven't decided weather we want to spend much time at Bells yet. Anyone have any recommendations that we may have missed? I would really like to find somewhere that makes all their food from scratch and doesn't forget that they have plenty of beer to use in their recipes.

well if you make it to battle creek try arcadia ales. most of their food is standard pub fare but the wood fired pizza is good. right down the road is the griffon pub with an awesome beer selection and a great menu. both are walking distance from the hotel downtown. after you eat check out gary fields comedy club across the street from the griffon.

If you want to go way north (UP) you should try KBC in Houghton Mi which has excellent beer. Theres also a couple of smaller brew pubs up that way. Red wood lodge in flint is also a must.

Go To Dark Horse in Marshall, Great Food Great Beer. Im not sure of the Hotels around there look into it... But even if its a stop by, You gotta go to Dark Horse.

If you get north on US-131, Traverse City is a great place for wine tasting and has three brew pubs. North Peak is my favorite and the last time I was there I got a tour of the brewhouse and cellar.

Very Cool. They use open fermentation and have phenomenal food.

North Peak Brewing, Mackinaw Brewing Company, and Right Brain Brewery are all in Traverse City and There is a place called The Traverse Brewing Company in Williamsburg nearby.

I'm going to TC on Friday and plan to hit Right Brain for the first time for lunch. Check out their website: http://www.rightbrainbrewing.com

Their website says they dont' serve food, but you can bring your own in. I've been to the others and have had great experiences in both. Love the pulled pork at Mackinaw!

Also if you are going to GR try Founders. Have been there once and would love to go back again. Some great beer there!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that a guy at Right Brain said he'd hook me up with a sack of grain since I can't find anyplace in Northern Michigan that has bulk grain (Diversions has some brewing supplies, but when I asked about grain I had to explain exactly what it was I was looking for. Not a good sign and they quoted 50% higher price than other supply shops downstate). He might even sell me some bulk hops! The price quoted at Right Brain was $40 for 50#, the same that I have seen at Michigan Brewing Company (THings beer) and Siciliano's Market). They don't normally sell brewing stuff, but I think he was impressed that I new something about brewing and wanted to help me out.

If you get north on US-131, Traverse City is a great place for wine tasting and has three brew pubs. North Peak is my favorite and the last time I was there I got a tour of the brewhouse and cellar.

Very Cool. They use open fermentation and have phenomenal food.

No, wait, you said they use open fermentation? I really need to get a tour upt here one of these days! Do they do tours?

I just asked our waiter if someone was available for a tour. The brewmistress was in a meeting that day but the cellarman/assistant brewer took us around. (Us being my wife and 5 yo son)

Most of the brewery is visible behind glass at the front of the building and they'll talk about all their process but I didn't get a hands on tour of the fermentation area because of the open fermentation going on. I did, however, get to go down in the cellar where they have the conditioning/serving tanks and nose around. Mostly talking about the process and how they do things.

Example: Since they open ferment, they don't repitch yeast and use US-05 bricks for all the regular standards they keep on tap and mash pretty much everything at 150*F. The Pale Ale is bittered with Galena and Cluster.

Stuff like that. :D

Back