attaching valve and thermometer to kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onipar

Reaction score
Okay, here's a weird one for ya (or maybe just inane?)

I received my new boil kettle today. It has two welded ports, and came with a ball valve and thermometer with the proper threading. Two questions:

I've seen people put some kind of special tape around the threaded areas of the valve/therm *before* screwing it in (I'm assuming to ensure no leakage will occur?). Is this necessary? If so, what is that tape called?

How far should I tighten the attachments? They get very tight fairly quick. Should I take a wrench to it, or just hand-tighten?

Thanks very much.

Its pipe thread tape or Teflon tape which you can pick up at any hardware store. I would definitely use the tape its cheap and should prevent leaks. Also definitely take a wrench to it and tighten it more without over tightening it. So maybe another full turn or two. Then check with water for leaks.

Its pipe thread tape or Teflon tape which you can pick up at any hardware store. I would definitely use the tape its cheap and should prevent leaks. Also definitely take a wrench to it and tighten it more without over tightening it. So maybe another full turn or two. Then check with water for leaks.

Great, thanks! Will-do. :rockin:

+1 on the teflon tape, but I would be cautious about over tightening the threads. Hand tight plus 1/2 to 1 turn should be sufficient to seal a taper thread. Too tight and the threads will deform and might not ever seal. Remember, you can always tighten it a little more if it leaks, if the threads have deformed from over tightening you are out of luck without a sealant.

The teflon tape not only helps provide a seal.. but, just as important..The teflon tape provides an, essentially, inert seal that has lubricative properties... thus making removal clean and easy. Like metals have a tendency to bind/gall. Overtighten and you may never be able to remove without ruining/stripping the threads w/o the tape (or some other gooy stuff that you don't want around your beer) .

Sounds good, thanks all! I'll pick up the teflon tape and be sure to cautiously tighten. I'm sure glad I at least had the presence of mind to ask about this! :mug:

Back