has anyone made a red hot's mead yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guntarvonswiggles

Reaction score
i was going to start looking into makeing a red hot's based mead as an experiment but was wondering if anyone out there in mead land has attempted such a task.:tank:

I've made a cyser with atomic fireballs. It is really good. I put 10/gallon in the secondary and leave for a few months at least before I bottle.

I made Atomic Fireball Mead from a recipe by Randy Mosher. I loved the taste; it was like drinking hot cinnamon candy, but not too sweet. Just one problem, though. The cinnamon oil never really dissolved. I've been advised to get a cinnamon candy flavoring. I'm definitely going to try it again.

OMG, this is something right up my alley. Made me drool thinking about this. If someone has a successful recipe I'd be *extremely* interested to get it!

OMG, this is something right up my alley. Made me drool thinking about this. If someone has a successful recipe I'd be *extremely* interested to get it!

I've made an atomic fireball cider twice now with good results both times. I just made a basic hard cider with a lil sugar added to up the abv%.

I let it ferment dry then I added 10 atomic fireballs / gallon and let it sit until they dissolved completely.

Gives it a nice red blush color. It is my most popular cider amongst my
friends. I find backsweetening to around 1.015 really brings out the "hot Cinammon" associated with atomic fireballs.

I've not had an issue with oils?

I see no reason this wouldn't work with a basic mead also. I certainly would use a cheap honey as the fireballs will dominate the flavor profile.

Couple of years ago I had the pleasure to sample a red hots mead at a homebrew party. I don't have a recipe, but I can verify that it is indeed a tasty drink! The color is amazing and there is less cinnamon flavor than you might think. Of course that depends on the amount of red hots you use.

I wish I had taken notes on it.

I've made an atomic fireball cider twice now with good results both times. I just made a basic hard cider with a lil sugar added to up the abv%.

I let it ferment dry then I added 10 atomic fireballs / gallon and let it sit until they dissolved completely.

Gives it a nice red blush color. It is my most popular cider amongst my
friends. I find backsweetening to around 1.015 really brings out the "hot Cinammon" associated with atomic fireballs.

I've not had an issue with oils?

I see no reason this wouldn't work with a basic mead also. I certainly would use a cheap honey as the fireballs will dominate the flavor profile.

Thanks, this sounds awesome. Gonna add this to my 'must-brew' list. :mug:

One redhot mead/cider 3 weeks old. ;)
2 pounds honey, 3/4 gallon cider, whole bunch of redhots!

JOAM and a Lemon Mead on either side as well.

150184_224620330982087_100003023640686_367542_1558724718_n.jpg

I know I'm resurrecting this thread but I figure this is the best place. I made a 1 gallon test batch and used Red Hots. I started with 77 grams. That is about how much 10 Fireballs weigh. It was nowhere near hot enough. I ended up using 12 ounces. It took my FG from 1.004 to 1.040. I'll be using Atomic Fireballs next time. How much does your gravity increase when you add them and how powerful is the cinnamon taste? I really want to be punched in the face (by the cinnamon). Someone on here said they made one and it tasted like you were drinking the candy. That is what I want.

I know I'm resurrecting this thread but I figure this is the best place. I made a 1 gallon test batch and used Red Hots. I started with 77 grams. That is about how much 10 Fireballs weigh. It was nowhere near hot enough. I ended up using 12 ounces. It took my FG from 1.004 to 1.040. I'll be using Atomic Fireballs next time. How much does your gravity increase when you add them and how powerful is the cinnamon taste? I really want to be punched in the face (by the cinnamon). Someone on here said they made one and it tasted like you were drinking the candy. That is what I want.

Did you add the candy after it was dry or still fermenting? Traditional mead as your base? But you did not use Fireballs, just the little red hots?

No fireballs just red hots. I added them to a cider after it was dry and clear. I realize this is in the mead forum and I didn't specify that I used cider. Sorry for the confusion.

I am thinking of making a traditional mead as the base, but incorporating 10 Harney & Sons Cinnamon Spice tea bags per gallon, steep like a tea. Or maybe 50% apple juice, the cinnamon tea making up the rest, and add 10 atomic fireballs per gallon once it is dry. If you have ever tasted the tea I am speaking of then you will likely understand the reason it should be a great addition to the recipe (black tea, citrus peel, cloves, cinnamon bark, etc).

I stumbled across a recipe from 2008 Homebrew Conference.. http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/fireballmead in case anyone was interested. It uses a cinnamon oil, and I do believe you can find a distilled cinnamon bark extract which is alcohol soluble, Olive Nation may carry one.

And this recipe incorporates Red Zinger tea, which is hibiscus, peppermint and something else--lemongrass? http://pastebin.com/8gCk3iBs

Back