Dry Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pick

Reaction score
Anyone remember back in the 1990's when everyone had a "dry" beer? I still have a Michelob DRY bottle in my office. Loved all those beers. Last time I saw one was in Montreal, Quebec back in 1998, Labatt's or Heineken I think.

I guess they just did not hit it off with the general public or they would still be in production.:(

I saw Bud Dry and Bud Ice in Austin Texas last time I was there about a year ago. But I have never seen them here in Oregon.

Up in Canada, Molson and Labatt still brew "dry" beers. I think they're only available in Canada, as I've never seen them in the States.

From the Molson website:
MOLSON DRY
Lager- Dry Brewed, 5.5% alc. /vol.

An easy-drinking beer of superior character, Molson Dry has won numerous international brewing awards. This extra dry brew imparts a subtle impression of hops with no residual bitterness. Launched in 1989, Molson Dry was awarded the North American Specialty Lager gold medal by the 2002 World Beer Cup

From the Labatt website:

Labatt Extra Dry

Beer, 5.5% alc./vol.

Labatt Extra Dry was the first national launch of a dry beer in Canada. Labatt Extra Dry is mashed longer than regular beers to leave less carbohydrate in the finished product, giving a lighter flavour with little aftertaste.

i just had that a few weeks ago. total crap...

It was what I drank most when I was over there early last year. For two reasons:

1) my beer palate was very undeveloped, and I was used to drinking american lager only

2) AUS doesnt have near the selection of microbrew that we have in the states, and for the most basic of domestic lagers you're paying $38 a case.

It was what I drank most when I was over there early last year. For two reasons:

1) my beer palate was very undeveloped, and I was used to drinking american lager only

2) AUS doesnt have near the selection of microbrew that we have in the states, and for the most basic of domestic lagers you're paying $38 a case.

yeah, there really was almost no craft selection at all and the beer was ungodly expensive. overall, I left very unimpressed with their beer. we just did the fiscally responsible thing and bought boxed wine.

Back