What to do with a blue agave plant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirk

Reaction score
Hi,

I may be coming into possession of some blue agave plants in the future. I've read all sorts of things about people using agave syrup in meads and beers here, but does anyone know what to do with an actual plant? I know that in commercial tequila production, they chop off all the leaves and use the heart.

The main question is what do they do to it, the implied question being can I do it with a blender?

The video shows how tequila is made. I suppose that after the cooking and juice extraction that would be your agave syrup. Hope this helps...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, uhh, seriously that needs to be turned into a wash and distilled into tequila. Just change your location to a country where home distillation is legal ;-) I think New Zealand is one of those. Mmm tequila.

I saw one of those videos where the heart was sliced & roasted. Then this vat sort of thing with big stones to squeeze the juice out. Look at the posted video on youtube,& you should be able to find it as I did. I was just thinking it might be good with the mesquite pds used to make beer in another thread on here. They make a mesquite molasses out of it first.seemed to me.

Back