cip brew kettle on the cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LordUlrich

Reaction score
Just brewed monday with my new kettle....I love it cleanup took next to no effort.

ForumRunner_20110907_151441.jpg

ForumRunner_20110907_151503.jpg

ForumRunner_20110907_151528.jpg

yah, i see a hole in the bottom, assumming water is exiting there? Whats up?

So you do all your cleaning and it drains out the bottom? Good idea. I am planning on a CIP system for my corny kegs involving a vertical sprayer and recirculating drain system. Like yours only upside down.

I have a keg flipped (using a triclamp on the top fitting). I am using a old bottling bucket with a pump attached to the outlet as a stand (stumbled across this by accident). It is a cheap pump after a quick rinse and the discharge runs clear I add some pbw and recirculate. Sorry about the pics I need to rotate them, but not sure how. Total cost less than 150.

Keg - free
2000 W element ~$10
Triclamp, gasket and cap ~$15
Weldless valve ~ $20
1in nut/gasket ~$10
Power cable ~$10
Cast electrical box, extension, switch and cover-plate ~$15
misc fittings to attach pump to bucket ~$10
Pump ~$50
Bucket - Free, it was ready for retirement
Total ~$140

I am still confused. You pump water/cleaning solution out of the bucket. It then goes where? Into the copper coil?

I guess what I am failing to see is how the stuff being pumped gets into the kettle. I understand that it must be doing this somehow since it apparently runs back out the bottom drain and into the bucket where it can be pumped again.... but there is some missing info in there.

Does the coil have holes in it to spray the inside of the kettle?

If the coil has holes to spray the kettle... what is the other hose on the coil for? Where does that go?

I'd say the coil is his immersion chiller and has nothing to do with the cleaning aspect.

I' sorry the coil is my ic. I recirc with a 5 ft garden hose.right out the pump....probably should have removed the chiller before taking pics.

Nice! I'm in Brookings, interesting to see a post from someone so close. Have you tested it out yet to see how it works? I've been interested in an electric kettle too since it'd be nice to brew inside in the winter and I'm sure its cheaper than propane....

Done one brew day, works well for my process. I just dry hoped today, and will see how it turns out next week.

Back