What Happened?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer84

Reaction score
I recently brewed my first all-grain batch of beer ( Haus Pale Ale) and lets just say that you can def tell that I am a noob. I mashed in a 10 gal rubbermaid cylinder cooler with a 12in SS false bottom for 60 min at 152 and crushed my grain with a Schmidling AA maltmill set at factory settings. Water-to-grain was 1.25 to 1lbs of grain, no mash-out, and fly sparged with 5gal of 170 degree water. My two problems were: I constantly got grain particles in my wort regardless of how many times i vorlaufed, and my beer is incredibly hazy. Its worse then a hefe and its always there regardless of temp. Any info on what I did wrong?

I left it in the primary fermenter for a week, racked to a secondary for another week, and now its bottled.

Everything I've read says to leave your beer in primary at least 2-3 weeks unless you've taken hydro readings and know fermentation is complete. I'm guessing this also gives it time for things to settle out also.

Then again, I've only brewed 1 extract making me a pretty useless reference from a hands one perspective.

Cold break? You used some sort of chill method? Also yeah 3 weeks in the primary is good. No need for secondary honestly.

I had some horribly murky beer on a recent all grain IPA (was out of whirlfloc). Chilled it, used polyclar, still murky. Tried gelatin, and it cleared in about a day or so.

I have the same MLT setup you described. I've never had a problem losing the grain particles after about 4-5 times vorlauf. I'm using the factory setting on a barleycrusher for my grain (forget what it crushes at, .039 or something)

Some guesses:
1. maybe you are crushing your grain too fine, you have a hole in your false bottm that is too big, you are draining too fast, or there is a way for the grain to short circuit arond the false bottom.

2. Try a protein rest next time.

3. Do you have a wort chiller? If you don't get a good cold break, you are more likely to haze up.

4. Are you getting a good hot break? If you are barely boiling, you won't break as many protein and tannin compounds down.

5. Try a fining agent to encourage flocculation of proteins, like Irish moss.

6. I agree, more time in the fermentor. The longer it has to sit, the more crap can settle out of it.

After doing some reading, the only thing that I could think of is that it could be starch haze due to incomplete mashing. I used a wort chiller and an ice water bath combo to chill, as well as whirfloc in the boil. Anyone disagree?

Never stop the vorlauf...if you stop and start the grain bed never settles correctly...get a nice flow and collect runnings into a vessel large enough that you don't need to shut off. I usually need 2qt but am using a ss false bottom. once the runnings are clear - continue flow into bucket or kettle...

basically - don't stop. if that doesnt fix it, your braid is poo :)

I would think that 60 min at 152F would be enough. But if the temp dropped, maybe not. Pick up some iodine to check your conversion next time.

But yeah, my guesses are starch and/or protein haze.

Back