synthetic corks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfstar

Reaction score
I get free empty wine bottles at work, the bartenders that save them for me re-insert the synthetic corks into the bottles. Can the synthetic corks be reused if sanitised properly? Thanks for the input.

Yes they can I am sure, but I really dont think you would want to. I think the seal they make in the bottle will be compromised. Just my opinion.

Never reuse corks. Even IF you can sanitize them, they were structurally comprimised when they were opened & are unfit for reuse. Regards, F.

Eww....no.

And to add to that -- in case other people read this -- don't be cheap on this piece of the puzzle. As expensive as wines/meads/ciders can get and as precious few bottles as we get out of a batch, this is one area NOT to skimp on. Re-use bottles, use cheap buckets as fermenters if you must, but don't skimp out on the ONLY thing between your hard work and that hard work going down the tube.

Corks may be expensive, but next to the honey - this is one of the "ingredients" that is well worth the cost.

I'm currently experimenting with a few zorks. That's an option if you don't have a corker.

I'm currently experimenting with a few zorks. That's an option if you don't have a corker.

If you need to cork more than 5 bottles with zorks, use a mallet to drive them in- your hand will be sore if you don't.

I've also noticed that the bottles with the lip at the top are harder to get the zork on to and also harder to remove. I like the simplicity and the fact that you don't need a corker but IMO- I'll only use these in a bind.

thanks for the replies. I have a corker and corks, I was more wondering for FYI...or is that FmyI:D

The bartenders save the corks thinking they might be re-used. I have not said anything, as I figure at least the bottles will be sealed until I can clean/sanitise them properly. Now I know...

FWIW, my father in law owns a liquor store. I worked for him for several years and learned quite a bit about the wine industry and recall there being some debate about synthetic versus natural corks. Not to hijack my own thread, but what are y'all's thoughts on this?

The wineries I've have contact with have gone over to synthetics 100%. They really like the zero spoilage rate, great for the bottom line and customer satisfaction.

I recork bottles at events to keep them from spilling in cleanup and transport afterward. It is easy, takes 2 seconds.

Sure, if you're gonna go home and drink them later or within a week or so, it probably won't be too bad.

My understanding of the OP's request is to reuse the commercial corks to cork his homebrew mead for standard aging...

Sorry... I was not clear. I was explaining why the bartender may be recorking the empties. It keeps them from dripping when cleaning up. I believe it is a common practice catering banquets.

Back