Dead Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustybrew

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone had seen my post on my mini-personal saga I'm having at the moment but I have a question. What I thought was yeast activity I'm assuming was just ingredients settling and small amounts of condensation. I'm now beginning to think that my yeast may have been dead before it got to me.

When I opened my UPS package all my ingredients were 100+ degrees (it's Vegas, what can I say?). I have to assume it's possible this killed my poor little yeasties. I'm going to run down to the LHBS and grab some more this morning.

Any thoughts on this? Am I over reacting? It's been 30+ hours with NO activity at all.

Wait another 24 hours, don't declare yeast dead until after 3-4 days. Next time, you should make a starter. Also, check out the pitching rate calculator in my signature.

+1 make a starter every time when using liquid yeast. Mr Malty will have all the information you need on starters as well as some other good information on different brewing techniques.

Fermentation can take up to 72 hours to begin.

Good luck!:mug:

Thanks guys! It's my third batch and I haven't had to make starters for my others (which both turned out well). I was also concerned since fermentation started within 24 hours with both of my others. Thanks for the advice! I'll wait a while longer before pitching new yeast!

I am from Vegas too and yesterday I got some WYeast 1056 in the mail and and just the same as you the ice pack next to the yeast felt like it was at about 100 degrees. I am going to try to make a starter and hope all is good.

Well I broke down, went the LHBS and talked to some guys down there that said yes in fact they have had the same problem with dead yeast in summer months. I grabbed a new vile of White Labs, came home and pitched it and within hours I had fermentation. So robegero, good luck to you! Thanks again everyone.

Back