Paintball

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Yesterday, the weather was great and I had brewed my first Rye IPA the day before and tucked my fermenter into the freezer with the sensor taped to the bucket and the digital temp set to 62 degrees.

To take advantage of the great weather, I took my 13 year old son out to ply Paintball. What a hoot! We went out to Texas Paintball in Jonestown and for 35 bucks each, we were outfitted with all the gear and 500 rounds each. We were put in a group of two other families, one with 4 and one with 7 people.

This place has 40 acres and several scenarios for paintball battles. We played for 4 hours and I managed to get hit in the shoulder twice and had two head shots (thanks for a good face mask).

It's pretty fun. Each game lasts 10 minutes and if you get tagged once, you are out of the game. There was a Ref involved and he led us to each location and explained each scenario and game.

We had one scenario where my son and I were the last two standing.

Anyway, this was an awesome experience and my boy loved it too (can you imagine that):cross:

Any other paintballers out here?

used to play a few times a year, haven't played in a few years.. another expensive hobby, it's a good $100 day
My gun looks something like this.. can't find the real pic..
y1p2I1Lhcfx3d8im1jkLHWKNO6UTFMH6TRbYYKdrMBx6tHhgUDalQZ2vtC30e0P95WbroxBI8TwNZw

then you need to get one of these kits
y1p2I1Lhcfx3d_RUqI6vc-X5vN4vlzlE_3FbPljJPj3pH0SvHKbFxSfKFx3KFxs1jeo0A6-0-Bbcqw

etc etc

I've played a few times and it's a blast. There's a place around here that has a couple speed courses and a huge woods course. It's great, except I rent equipment, so I get stuck with a POS gun against the local kids fully automatic guns.

I used to plat a bit. but now its just too expensive especially when its competing for money with my brewing. around here (NYC) its around $35 just to get in, then they make you buy all your paintballs from them. for a full day its $100-$150 depending on how much paint you need. plus all the fields are about an hours drive from my house. but I do miss it, its a lot of fun.

I used to play for some teams back in Oregon, played for Bonebrake then with the OSU and Naughty Dawgs players for some time. It's a lot of fun and i wish i had the time and money to keep playing. After a few expensive tournaments and seeing the jerks out on the field (every sport has them, but paintball tourny players are a bunch of real a-holes) i had to leave the sport.

orfy, you were not supposed to eat the paint! that would have gotten rid of all of your health issues.

I love it, but I love woodsball and scenarios not he air/xball **** where you fling as much paint at the other side as possible in the shortest amount of time possible. That gets expensive quick, and while it may take some skill, it seems archaic and primitive, like standing line to line with machine guns instead of muskets.

My favorite times out is when its raining and muddy and those electronic guns get all ****ed up. Hooray for pneumatics! Don't care how fast you can shoot if 1, you run out of paint in 5 seconds, gun breaks or has no distance. Oh yeah and you should always should up to a paint ball field dressed in the brightest colors cause you're that damned good, wtf? /rant

I love paintball.

(early 90's) We used to do this on an ad-hoc basis in a more urban environment like the public parks at night or a four block square in the neighborhood. Nobody around, lots of cover and obstacles and you've got the rush that it's probably illegal. We always made sure "innocent" civilians were not around and if the law showed up, you better drop the gear fast. They look enough like a real gun that a trigger happy peace officer would blow you away holding one.

We'd also have a blast using the paintball guns on all the lightweights that passed out early during our parties. Ahh, the good ol' days........

This was years ago though before 9-11. I'm sure things would be much different attempting this now.

Klainmeister said:
I used to play for some teams back in Oregon, played for Bonebrake then with the OSU and Naughty Dawgs players for some time. It's a lot of fun and i wish i had the time and money to keep playing. After a few expensive tournaments and seeing the jerks out on the field (every sport has them, but paintball tourny players are a bunch of real a-holes) i had to leave the sport.

I can understand that. This place also does Recreational Paintball. [FONT=arial,helvetica,verdana][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Group size or experience does matter and it's open to the public. They don't tolerate BS or a-holes, so it was pretty fun to play with other noobs (without automatic markers) on a Sunday afternoon.

I don't think I'll invest in any equipment unless I setup my own paintball course in the backyard. :)

For 4 hours of fun with the family, good exercise, an adrenalin rush, it's money well spent IMHO.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I used to play, but then turned 18 and realized I could have real guns for the cost of my paint ball stuff, So I sold my one marker and bought a Mini- 14 and my other one for a shotgun. It was fun, but I was spending way to much money on it, real guns hold their value or go up, paintball stuff does not.

I find real guns tend to be cheaper to use after the initial investment of the gun, depending on the gun.

i used to play alot. THen age started catching up and after a whole weekend I would feel it pretty bad the whole next week. I still like to get out and shoot some kids every so often though. Brewing and paintball or brewing and golf make for a good Saturday

THis is what I have in my closet. Its amazing how a reliable and consistent gun makes the day so much better when you dont have to worry about chopping paint

Proto%20PM6%20Olive.gif

I used to play A LOT in jr. high / high school. I went from a Tippmann 98 custom, to a used Autococker, to a brand new, sexy Angel!

Haven't played in about 3 years now, sadly:(

Back