Brewing an ESB this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've tentatively scheduled a brewing session for this Monday. I've decided to make an ESB. As usual, I can't just use an existing recipe. I have to formulate my own.
Here it is. What does everyone think?
Also, I will be kegging by Brown this Sunday. :D

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
54.5 7.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
32.7 4.50 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row) America 1.035 6
7.3 1.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
5.5 0.75 lbs. Victory Malt America 1.034 25

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.50 oz. Fuggle Whole 4.50 23.9 60 min
1.00 oz. Fuggle Whole 4.50 8.1 30 min
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.00 2.8 10 min
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 3.4 5 min

Yeast
WYeast 1056 American Ale/Chico

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 13.75
Water Qts: 14.00 Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.50 Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.02 Before Additional Infusions

Rest Temp Time
Saccharification Rest: 154 90 Min
Mash-out Rest: 170 20 Min
Sparge: 170 20 Min

Total Mash Volume Gal: 4.60 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

That sure will turn out to be an interesting wine!

(Seriously, I like your hop profile. This should be a good beer.)

Sounds good, although that's a rather high OG for an ESB. I'd skip the Cascade at the end, ESB's don't normally have a finish hop and that much Cascade will overwhelm the Goldings.

i would skip the cascades, opt for more ek gold or fuggles, and i would use an english ale yeast...but its your beer...

This is the most posts the wine section has ever had!
Can a moderator please move this? This is MY quiet corner all to myself.....:D

Thanks for the advice. I might cut the Cascade out as you suggest. I think the gravity is OK for style. At least ProMash says it is.

I didn't know I was a wine connoisseur! :)

Duh,
Just figured out the wine thing. When I posted this, all I saw was recipe. I didn't notice that it was under the wine discussions.:eek:

Oh boy did I screw up brewing today! Everything went great with the session except for my hops schedule. I was thinking the hops came in one ounce bags but in reality they were 2 ounce bags. I was in a hurry and divided one bag in half and threw it in with another whole bag. Once in the hop sock and placed in the wort, I thought it looked like a lot of hops. That's when I looked at the bag and discovered my mistake. I put in 3 ounces of bittering hops. to fix my mistake I only boiled the hops for 40 minutes and pulled them out. Don't know what this will do but I didn't want that high of an IBU. I guess I could have left them in and called it an IPA but I'm not a hop head by any stretch.
Other than that it is a beautiful copper wort. This brew has the most trub I've ever seen. I had to rack it into a second carboy after it settled. I pitched yeast that I harvested from my last primary. The air lock started bubbling within an hour of pitching.

It sounds good. I really like ESB and made an extract last week. It also had 5 ounces of hops which made a nice thick layer at the bottom of the bucket. I am going to have to figure a way to filter some out of the secondary because I don't want to loose much more liquid.

Back