Blow off Overflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure I get this.

A blow off tube is to allow overflow, if you don't have overflow you don't need a blow off.

You are putting the blow off tube in a receptical with spare capacity aren't you?

pict0044rt3.jpg

Lower fermentation temps or lower pitching rates maybe? Bigger fermenter? But why do you want to? The whole point of a blowoff tube is to be able to have the krausen blow off through it.

I am brewing hefe's and the last two times i have i have had massive overflow to the point i had to change the jug.

i would rather just solve the problem so i can let it do its thing without my help.

So like orfy's setup but substitute a 30 gallon trashcan for the 8 cup measuring cup. problem solved.

roofman70 said:
I am brewing hefe's and the last two times i have i have had massive overflow to the point i had to change the jug.

i would rather just solve the problem so i can let it do its thing without my help.

Hefe's will do that to you. Wheat aids in head retention and krausen is just a big amount of head.

SPLASTiK said:
foam control drops?
According to the folks over at a certain eye-abusing green forum, it works wonders for controlling krausen during fermentation. Haven't tried it myself, though a bottle of it is due to show up on my doorstep tomorrow.

The solution would be more head space however that sort of defeats the purpose for a blow off tube.

I kind of get off on all the crap the blows out during fermentation.

You're right.

I just don't understand why you are using a blow off tube.
If the majority of experienced brewers suggest using a tube and letting it blow then it's for a reason.

and doing something differently than the others is..... well, American. Let us know how this works out. And I thought blow off tubes were used in case of a blow over as a safety measure. Could there be something in the krausen that you want in your brew? Just throwing stuff out there.

I'd believe that, the sticky stuff on the inside of a carboy I've heard is pretty nasty if it get's into the final product. In that case, is there an advantage to skimming krausen off during vigorous fermentation. That'd be hard in a bottle, but easy with a bucket.

If you want esters (banana/clove) in your hefe, keep the temp up and let it blow off. If you want a cleaner tasting hefe, keep the temp down.

Controlling blow off IS NOT a reason to change the fermentation temp.

If you wanna waste some cash on that foam control crap, go for it, but it doesn't really buy you much in terms of brew quality.

Like others have said, RDWHAHB, and let it do its thing.

The smell isn't supposed to be all sweet banana and clove during fermentation. It's allowed to be a little gross and sulphur-ish. That's just what hefes do.

The last hefe i brewed Went crazy one night and i woke up to one huge mess that i'd rather not clean up agian so thats why i use a blowoff tube every time now.

I dont mind it blowing off ,it means nothing to me .

i just dont want to babysit my brew more than i have to.

this has been fermenting for two days and i have changed the blowoff container 3 times since.

I love my beer and will figure it out in time just thought somone out there has had this problem too.

I use an old 5 gallon pail for a blowoff container, keeps me from having to babysit. Mine (when I do hefes in a 6.5 gallong carboy) blows off even at 64-66F. Like Yuri said, the temp is going to effect the flavor a lot, and the blowoff not-so-much...
Good luck, though, I hope you have a tasty brew. Maybe call it "no more babysitting Hefeweizen"!

The reason for the blow off tube is to allow for the crap to get out. If you have to change out the overflow vessel then so be it. It happens, not like it's that big of a deal.

Cheers

well i got everything back to its original state and the aroma that i love so much has returned (Thank Goodness) and blowoff seems to have settled itself to a minn.

thanks for all the advice all and by the way i was listening to you all, somtimes you have to try it to belive it.

I love my beer the way i have been brewing it and i dont want to change it in any way, so ill keep babysitting for the first 4 days of fermentation as usual and enjoy what i love the most (My Great Beer).

Thanks agian and happy brewing to all!!

Back