Mounting my drip tray to keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooh this is interesting... @RolandD did you buy rare earth magnets that came with 3M round double sided sticky-pads?
I just put mine on with 5 of them and ALSO used the magnets too...
It wasn't strong enough with just the magnets...hoping mine won't fall one day 🤞

I used seven of them for a 10" driptray. They'll support my 30oz SS tumbler full of cider.

If you don’t want screw fasteners, there is always silicone rubber. You will need to temporarily position and hold it with duct tape or a clamp. You would need the force of many to tear it off!

Ooh this is interesting... @RolandD did you buy rare earth magnets that came with 3M round double sided sticky-pads?
I just put mine on with 5 of them and ALSO used the magnets too...
It wasn't strong enough with just the magnets...hoping mine won't fall one day 🤞

I think the comment from @RolandD was that there was a failure of the adhesive 3M sponge between the magnet and drip tray, which was repaired with glue.

If you get the rare earth magnets from hard disk drives they are secured I know not how to a metal backing. The metal backing can be drilled and then you can bolt it to your drip tray.

My drip tray had keyholes in the backsplash for suspending it on two screws. I cut a wood board to size then cut round indentations for magnets using forstner bits. I then screwed six round rare earth magnets into the back side of the board, then routed spaces along the back side of each short edge using a cove bit so that I could grip the board easily when it was stuck to the keezer. In sure glad I added those finger grips because those magnets are STRONG. Finally two screws were used to hang the drip tray. I like being able to reposition the tray, particularly when bottling using my Tapcooler counterpressure filler.

This is what I came up with, a piece of plywood and some iron pipe fittings to hold the tray. Bonus feature: if I ever wand to add more taps I only have to replace the plywood piece and it will cover the extra holes in the collar. The chalkboard paint has worked really well, next time I would paint the whole panel with it.

20210130_173135.jpg

I think the comment from @RolandD was that there was a failure of the adhesive 3M sponge between the magnet and drip tray, which was repaired with glue.

If you get the rare earth magnets from hard disk drives they are secured I know not how to a metal backing. The metal backing can be drilled and then you can bolt it to your drip tray.
Ahh, I gotcha.
I ended up putting mine in a different order:
1. Freezer surface
2. 3M double sided sticky foam (5x for 10" tray)
3. Drip tray
4. Magnet (5x for 10" tray)
The reason is the magnets were terrible at holding the drip tray from slipping...pressure sensitive adhesive is good in "shear loading", so I used the magnets to reduce the "peel" on the sticky pads by increasing the pressure. Works ok...and the price was right!

Here's the backside of my drip tray. I got a little overzealous with the super glue, as you can tell.
Keezer driptray.jpg

Here it is supporting my full tumbler. The tumbler weights 2 lbs 9 oz, full.
Keezer tap and tumbler.jpg

If you have trouble with it sliding, paint the magnets with a thin layer of rubber cement and let dry thoroughly.

p.s. When I was taking the second photo, I noticed that it must have bent a bit when it fell. The magnet under the left tap isn't even touching the keezer.

Last edited:
I just a magnetic tray I bought from Harbor Freight. My keezer is white and the tray is black but I am not fussy, actually I am borderline trailerhood so some mismatching is to be expected LOL

Back