Can I cut my hop roots (rhizomes) to split up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
I have my hops in large pots. I have had them now for three years so the roots are fairly well established (pop up in tons of places out of the pots). This year I would like to move some to different areas but also want to keep the ones I have where they currently are. Can I dig up the roots, cut some, and transplant?

Is there any trick on how to cut?

I haven't dug them up yet so I don't even know what they look like now.

I just dig up the whole bunch, look at them and decide, how many equal looking healthy divisions can I make from this. They are pretty hardy... not much to worry about.

I did this to my Centennial plant this year. I was worried that I might of done a hack job on it but....it seems to be growing fine so far.

im in the same boat. I had hops growing in 4 gallon pots last year and they really took off, got almost 1 lb of cones from first year growth! I was thinking about cutting off some rhizomes, but was wondering when is the best time to start chopping? Before or after shoots start to break the surface?

Best time for rhizomes would be before they sprout, but you should be fine. I’m still cutting back some new sprout growth at this point and wouldn’t think twice of digging one up to harvest rhizomes.

how much of the shoot do you have to cut off? I just planted a hop crown I was sent like a week and a half ago. I already have the strongest 5 bines(maybe 4 inches tall) making their way up the bottom of my trellis. If possible Id like to cut some of the new unwanted sprouts and give them to a friend to plant and grow.

Wait till they get long enough to be bent over without snapping and then throw some soil on top. After a few days when the growing tip starts to peek through throw some more soil on it. In a week or two there should be a bunch of roots formed along the area that was buried so you can just cut it at the crown and then plant. Easy as pie!

I'd leave a one year old plant to grow for at least one more season to be safe. Next Spring, the now two-year-old can be dug up and if it looks like there's enough buds to go around, have at it. If not, just stick it back in the ground till next year (you should have a few rhizomes to lop off by the end of the second season though). They're almost indestructible and seem to love abuse

Back