British Brown Ale Nut Brown AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To all those who’ve brewed this;
Did this beer come out cloudy as anything for you? Did it clear up?

I’m a clear freak,I love being able to read through my finished beers. However, I brewed this and just can’t seem to get it to clear up.

Nothing new with any of my usual brewing procedure. Mash came out as expected 5.3, whirfloc went in the boil, nice hot and cold break, was in the fermenter 2 weeks, cold crashed a few days, gelatin in the keg etc but its still just super cloudy even a week and a bit after gelatin, usually all my brews are crystal clear after 3 days max.

Wondered wether anyone else has had this with this grain bill? Just as a side note, beer tastes great.. good job sparky

I’m a clear freak,I love being able to read through my finished beers. However, I brewed this and just can’t seem to get it to clear up.

Nothing new with any of my usual brewing procedure. Mash came out as expected 5.3, whirfloc went in the boil, nice hot and cold break, was in the fermenter 2 weeks, cold crashed a few days, gelatin in the keg etc but its still just super cloudy even a week and a bit after gelatin, usually all my brews are crystal clear after 3 days max.

Wondered wether anyone else has had this with this grain bill? Just as a side note, beer tastes great.. good job sparky

I remember it being cloudy, although I don't care about it all that much. As for a reason, I seem to recall somebody saying that the oats will have a hard time clearing out.

I found an orphaned bottle in the back of the fridge that had been sitting there for like 9 months and it was super-clear.

I used gelatin and it takes a few weeks to get to this:
A598F31B-3E20-49EB-B460-B2DCE5CD52EF.jpeg

I brewed this again and, yeah, it's pretty cloudy. Fermented for about 20 days at 16C and then cold crashed for 3-4 days but didn't use any gelatin......just some more input.

So what makes a nut brown ale “nutty”? I’m asking this because I recently tried to brew an Irish Red Ale and wound up with something much closer to Newcastle Brown.

My recipe had Golden Promise, way too much flaked barley because I mindlessly dumped in a 1 lb bag when the recipe was for .5 lb, 4 oz of Caramunich and 1.5 oz roasted barley. This was a 3 gallon recipe.

So what makes a nut brown ale “nutty”?

The whole "nut brown" thing seems to have its origins as a poetic thing in a Christmas carol, it's an indication of colour (as in "nut-brown") rather than flavour ("brown ale with nuts"). Inevitably, Ron has gone into this in some detail :

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2013/11/nut-brown-ale.htmlhttp://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/search/label/Nut Brown Ale
It's interesting that the first record he can find is at Christmas 1900. But in general, "nut brown ale" is used before then as a general reference to "beer", and is used occasionally as a marketing name in the 20th century, generally for the bottled version of a brewery's dark mild.

But since then people have tried to turn it into a style, by adding things like brown malt to recipes that otherwise look like milds or low-IBU bitters.

Did a 10 gallon batch of this with White labs English ale yeast 2packs 1.4L starter...pitched at 65 up to 68 over 3 days. Wonderful beer...even my neighbors from the UK love it. Was hazy for about a week and the cleared up.

This is quite a mildly hopped beer for the amount of grains that you were using.

I would have said if you added 2 oz @ 60 min and possibly additional aroma hops towards the end of the boil this would be my way of doing it for a more hoppy taste.

I guess the chocolate malt is not something I would be inclined toward at this point. I saw on a youtube video a man comparing the smell of it to coffee.

I like amber malt as the speciality (non-base) malt. I ordered some cara-amber malt in the post and when it arrived it looked almost like no roasting work had been done on it to distinguish the color profile from the base malt I am using.

Last edited:
This recipe is defiantly more on the British smooth side than hoppy. Just popped open a bottle from 7 months ago and man this beer ages so well. Although my recipe is slightly different than the OP it's still a great recipe!

Bumping this great recipe back to the top.
Good bump.
I had totally forgotten about this beer.
I haven't brewed it yet but it's one of those brews that has been put on the back burner for the last 5 to 10 years.
My brew season is from November to April, then my girlfriend alway has some stuff for me to do on the weekends.
Hope I can fit it in before then :mischievous:

Brewing this for the 2nd time this weekend. Phenomenal beer first time around. Best brown i ever had. (Helltown mischievous is my go to)

This is quite a mildly hopped beer for the amount of grains that you were using.

I would have said if you added 2 oz @ 60 min and possibly additional aroma hops towards the end of the boil this would be my way of doing it for a more hoppy taste.

I guess the chocolate malt is not something I would be inclined toward at this point. I saw on a youtube video a man comparing the smell of it to coffee.

I like amber malt as the speciality (non-base) malt. I ordered some cara-amber malt in the post and when it arrived it looked almost like no roasting work had been done on it to distinguish the color profile from the base malt I am using.
Hi, I'm a beginner brewer and I'm trying to understand the different types of malts and hops. I'm also curious about the chocolate malt. You said that you wouldn't use it in this beer, but I've heard that it can give beers a coffee-like flavor. Is that true?

First time brewing this beer, did a 2.5 gallon recipe. The only change I made was using only East Kent Golding hops as I didn't have fuggles on hand. This beer is great! Best compliment I got was my wife thinking it was a commercially brewed beer! I will definitely brew this beer again!

Good bump.
I had totally forgotten about this beer.
I haven't brewed it yet but it's one of those brews that has been put on the back burner for the last 5 to 10 years.
My brew season is from November to April, then my girlfriend always has some stuff for me to do on the weekends.
Hope I can fit it in before then :mischievous:
Well I failed miserably again at trying to fit this into my brewing schedule last year. I have a pack of Notti getting old in the fridge so I'm going to try my best to brew it next month before it's too late again.
I'll be using a Belgian biscuit malt instead of victory and a British medium crystal malt (Muntons 150 EBC) instead of C60. Still undecided what to use as the base malt. Pils/Lager malt would be closest to 2-Row but I am tempted to use some Maris Otter or Pale ale malt. I'm not sure if they would throw the beer off balance and I'd end up with totally different beer than the OP though - especially with the MO.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back