Davy Jones' Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beere

Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
4141-deepsix_label_web.jpg

4141-bottle.jpg

Anyone else enter BYO's label contest?​

that looks friggin awesome. only thing that looks a little off is the ribbon covers up a little of the "brewing co."

Other than that it looks pretty clean. i need to start making some labels...

If I saw that on a store shelf, I would by a 12 pack or case no problem just for the label. That looks awesome! What program did you use?

Thanks! I'm thrilled with it. Its all done in Adobe Illustrator... My wife's finishing up the bottle neck label now.

So what do you think of my slogan?!?

John Beere said:

I don't care for it. While its catchy and could possibly be down right funny. It doesn't make much sense.

"Going down never tasted so good"

What is going down? Is the beer going down on me? Am I going down on the beer? Is the beer going down my throat? Or the front of my shirt/pants? Down the street or driveway?

You have the whole pirate theme going on, I think your slogan should incorporate that somehow.

Aye, beer has ne'er tasted so good goin' down.

I think the slogan is pretty cool; I read "going down never tasted so good" as a dual meaning.

The beer going down your throat never tasted so good. And the pirates sinking ships or picking up treasures from sunken ships (that went down) is also good.

Am I right, or totally off base.

Label looks great, but I'd also move down the Davy Jones banner so you are not covering up your brewery name.

HarvInSTL said:
I don't care for it. While its catchy and could possibly be down right funny. It doesn't make much sense.

"Going down never tasted so good"

What is going down? Is the beer going down on me? Am I going down on the beer? Is the beer going down my throat? Or the front of my shirt/pants? Down the street or driveway?

You have the whole pirate theme going on, I think your slogan should incorporate that somehow.

Thanks for your comments. Perhaps you missed the name of the brewery is "Deep Six" Brewing Co? "Deep Six" is synonymous with being thrown overboard... hence the anchor in the logo. Now, I'm not too sure as I've never been thrown overboard, but I'm pretty sure my beer tastes better than the bottom of the ocean...

John Beere said:

i like the multiple entendre.

1. "going down" doesn't sound like it would taste very good, lol

2. taking down a nice beer

3. sinking into the sea

I think it's a great slogan!

John Beere said:
Thanks for your comments. Perhaps you missed the name of the brewery is "Deep Six" Brewing Co? "Deep Six" is synonymous with being thrown overboard... hence the anchor in the logo. Now, I'm not too sure as I've never been thrown overboard, but I'm pretty sure my beer tastes better than the bottom of the ocean...

I didn't miss the brewery name, but I did not know that is what Deep Six meant. And granted i doubt anyone would not buy a beer because of its logo, but not being versed in nautical terms could cause some confussion.

I think the label looks freakin' awesome! I was just left pondering what the slogan meant.

But now that you have explained the slogan it makes complete sense!

*I know I can't spell nor do I care, so if anyone plans on correcting my spelling errors please RDAHBASTFU.

Absolutely perfect John! I woudn't change a thing. The artwork is beautiful and the slogan is spot on. Great job!!!

I do think that the banner would like a *teensy* bit better if it were just slightly lower - it doesn't look quite right where it is, obscuring the "Co." Just a wee bit higher.

The slogan, too... I know what you mean, but really, the first thing that "going down" brings to mind is *not* sinking to the bottom of the ocean. The fact that it's referring to the person who is actively going down and tasting... let's just say that I think that slogan might go better on a girlie drink ;)

It's still an awesome looking label, absolutely top-notch.

Hmm... point taken. I guess in my neck of the woods, guys "goes down" and girl's "give head".

I began talking to my wife about moving the banner to where it does not obscuring the "Co." but was abruptly cut off. Something about artistic expression, blah, blah, blah. I could tell that it she was prep'ed for me to say something about it by the way she snapped back... so I left it alone.

The funny thing about all this is I have no plans on bottling beer ever again... kegging is too damn convienient. Although the design would make a killer t-shirt...

it's all about marketing in the beer biz. You could bottle the beer and slap those labels on and garauntee that you will sell it.

As long as the brew is halfway decent.

robbase9 said:
it's all about marketing in the beer biz. You could bottle the beer and slap those labels on and garauntee that you will sell it.

As long as the brew is halfway decent.

I don't have any delusions of ever getting to do this professionally, but as in all our endeavors, we try to present ourselves as if we've already made it. You never know who's out there watching, looking for the next big thing to snatch up and bring to the market!

I'm glad to see you went with the Davy Jones Lager suggestion.

What about "Going overboard never tasted so good" or something to that effect.

You should also make a Full Fathom Five themed beer!:mug:

Jesus you have awsome labels. There is so much there to look at.

Once you start printing them off, any way I can get my hands on one of those labels?

BTW, leave the banner where it is, looks good there.

As for the "going down" logo, leave it. I foresee many a good laughs over that.

Thanks to all for the comments. I've editted the original post with the final version of the label we've submitted to their contest. I''ve mocked up a bottle and it really looks good. I'll try to post a photo of it later today.

Dude said:
Man that looks great. I'd definitley buy it!

Thanks man. I'm very lucky to have such an artistic wife. BTW - I've updated the original post with a photo of the label on a bottle. Its not the best quality photo but gets the point across...

Looks great... now the important question.. how much does a sixer sell for and what is shipping to VT gonna cost me?
Seriously.. if I saw this on the shelf at the store I would pick some up with out a second thought.. nicely done!

SpamDog

Love the label! Slogan is great.

Not that it matters anymore, but I agree with your wife, the ribbon slightly covering the "C" in your brewery name gives it an element of depth and really makes the ribbon jump off the label.

Very nice. I kept staring at the white scrollwork around the oval and was thinking that with very slight modification, it could be made into a "D" and an "S" for Deep Six.

Maybe even a DS on one side and a BC on the other for deep six brewing co.

DeathBrewer said:
where do you get your labels?? i can't find anything for my inkjet printer that doesn't run immediately once it gets moist.

Thats just a mockup I did using my color laserjet and good quality paper...

Toot said:
Very nice. I kept staring at the white scrollwork around the oval and was thinking that with very slight modification, it could be made into a "D" and an "S" for Deep Six.

Maybe even a DS on one side and a BC on the other for deep six brewing co.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if she can make the modification the next time we modify it.

John Beere said:
I've been business partners with Mike @ LogoMotive for years now... he did the logo last year, my wife did the rest...

I see I remmeber him posting this logo on the HOW forum quite a while ago, great work!

The label is awesome.

"Going down never tasted so good" is perfect.

I don't understand why people are not making the connection of "Going down never tasted so good" and Davy Jones.

Davy Jones is synonymous with Davy Jones' Locker, which is the bottom of the sea. So the "Going down..." thing is perfect.

Airtight said:
Davy Jones is synonymous with Davy Jones' Locker, which is the bottom of the sea. So the "Going down..." thing is perfect.

Because the primary sensation you imagine when "going down" on a ship is not taste.... Taste is just about the last sense I would notice in that situation. Kinda like saying, "Sucking a lollipop never sounded so good". It may be true, but most people don't associate the sucking on a lollipop with the sense of sound.

Unless, of course, you mean "going down" on another person, such as a girl... in which case it's pretty much the FIRST sensation you think of. And in that case, the slogan makes perfect sense, but it's not saying much to say that your beer tastes better than a girl's punani... I mean, that's hardly something to be proud of... or for the cork soakers out there, what's it say when someone says their beer tastes better than semen? Is that really something to be proud of? To take it one step further, what if drinking the beer actually is an act of fellatio? Will people think I'm gay for "going down"? Because right there on the bottle it says that this is an act of "going down"

Of course, that's just what I think of when someone talks about "going down". I immediately assume the naughty meaning. I am off base in this instance though. I have a dirty mind.

It's a double entendre, and there in lies the joke. I too think it's perfect and wouldn't change a thing.

Everybody knows that ships are feminine, so.... "She'll be going down in no time..."

I mean, I don't want to give people the perception that *I* go down. I'm not homophobic, but plenty of men are, and if I was, it would bother me to drink a beer that implies that I go down.

"She'll be going down in no time", It's still a double entendre. Is the "she" your SWMBO? Or the beer? And what's important is it doesn't make the men think that they are "going down"... a term that USUALLY implies the action is being done to a man (at least more often than not).

Toot said:
Everybody knows that ships are feminine, so.... "She'll be going down in no time..."

I mean, I don't want to give people the perception that *I* go down. I'm not homophobic, but plenty of men are, and if I was, it would bother me to drink a beer that implies that I go down.

"She'll be going down in no time", It's still a double entendre. Is the "she" your SWMBO? Or the beer? And what's important is it doesn't make the men think that they are "going down"... a term that USUALLY implies the action is being done to a man (at least more often than not).

Dude, then don't drink it. Jeebus.

Dude said:
Dude, then don't drink it. Jeebus.

Hey I've walked through boys town with a penis shaped chocolate lollipop before. I have no shame. A slogan wouldn't dissuade me from drinking it, but if you're going to aim for a slogan, I just think it should appeal to as many people as possible because, as you know, some people are very label-conscious and would shun something that didn't fit their image of themselves... no matter how tasty the underlying product might be.

How many folks here want a penis shaped chocolate lollipop? See? That's my point.

Nothing wrong with it... it just makes some people uncomfortable..

Back