Cracked out idea or BEST IDEA IN THE WORLD?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjasghar

Reaction score
Ok...i'll come clean before i start....

I'm a Net Admin... so i'm addicted to caffiene. VERY addicted... (hell i'm drinking a 24oz Diet Rockstar right now....)

i came by this and got an idea..

If i brewed my beer with this, would it work?

think about it...caffienated beer....it's gotta be possible....

Or wil it clash, mess up the yeast? it's just a chemical...it cant be that bad....

yeah dude.... ive been making coffee stout for a while now.

Go get yourself a dry stout kit, go to the store and get a brick of expresso bean finely ground, brew your beer and put in half of the brick at flame out. You'll end up "Buzz Beer". Drew Carey has been raving about the stuff for years! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_Beer

lol... if it can be done, someone has done it. Heck, I've heard about people making shroom beer and THC Beer. LOL... i'm gonna go check out that shroom thread and see how it turned out ;)

Mostly harmless, just don't feed it to your web mistress:

caffeinated_spiders_webs.jpg

I still think that we'd be better off making a good asparagus beer. Just imagine...the effects of Asparagus mixed with the effects of heavy beer consumption.

Cheesefood said:
I still think that we'd be better off making a good asparagus beer. Just imagine...the effects of Asparagus mixed with the effects of heavy beer consumption.

You've got to be careful with that. You may rip a hole in the Space-Time continuum

sirsloop said:
yeah dude.... ive been making coffee stout for a while now.

Go get yourself a dry stout kit, go to the store and get a brick of expresso bean finely ground, brew your beer and put in half of the brick at flame out. You'll end up "Buzz Beer". Drew Carey has been raving about the stuff for years! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_Beer

lol... if it can be done, someone has done it. Heck, I've heard about people making shroom beer and THC Beer. LOL... i'm gonna go check out that shroom thread and see how it turned out ;)

A couple things---I recommend adding actual brewed coffee/espresso to the primary or secondary, rather than grounds. It produces a much less harsh flavor, and avoids that "stale grounds" taste that many a coffee stout exhibits (to my dismay---Bell's Java Stout, I'm looking in your direction).

Second, as for THC beer, if you can get your hands on a bottle of Fantome's Dark White, you should try it out. I swear up and down that they put bud in that brew. Can't prove it, but my whole beer/wine group said the same thing. Too bad the stuff is so rare. I've got one bottle left. :(

Cheesefood said:

With the right amount of sulfa drugs or Doan's pill, you can make your pee green or blue.

olllllo said:
With the right amount of sulfa drugs or Doan's pill, you can make your pee green or blue.

If you drink around two gallons of grape koolaid over a 1 day period... the next morning your s**t will be bright green. Don't ask how I know :D

Toot said:
Skip the bottled water and just buy the caffeine...

http://www.undergrounddigital.com/

It's right there on the first page (no I've never ordered from these guys. It looks like they operate from a warehouse, but a lot of internet supply companies do, these guys are just open about it).

When would you add this stuff? I've thought about doing a caffeine beer before. What kind of beer would you guys make caffeinated, other than coffee beer

In college, a friend worked at the USDA. He swiped a bottle of caffeine from the lab. Let me tell you this: you snort 3-4 lines of caf and you're ready to rock for the night.

sirsloop said:
If you drink around two gallons of grape koolaid over a 1 day period... the next morning your s**t will be bright green. Don't ask how I know :D

I too have fallen victim to this.:eek: We had a 'garbagepail' party back in college where everyone brought a bottle of booze to dump in the pail, mixed in fruit, sangrea and grape koolaid. Next day everyone in the dorm was walking around with nervous looks on thier faces until two people decided to compare notes and we found out what the cause was.

I would use the pure caffeine at bottling time. Why let it sit around in the secondary with unknown effects? Besides, at least this way you'll know that your beer is good before you waste the money on the caffeine boost. As for sterilization, it's like a food product, sealed. So I don't think I would be too concerned about dropping it straight into a bottling bucket.

As for what kind of beer? I would go with something very light, a light-to-moderatly-hopped Pale Ale. Something as easily drinkable as possible.

omniscientomar said:
If you brew with the caffeinated water, use it for top off only. Boiling it would destroy most of the caffeine if not all of it.

I don't know how that is the case if you pour boiling water on coffee grounds it doesn't destroy the caffiene. (it does ruin the coffee if its over 200ºf)

Toot said:
I don't think I would be too concerned about dropping it straight into a bottling bucket..

i totally agree, i have a feeling it would be best right then.

Toot said:
As for what kind of beer? I would go with something very light, a light-to-moderatly-hopped Pale Ale. Something as easily drinkable as possible.

I dunno, a lager seems like a great idea, almost a "hidden kick" but at the same time a really dark ESB or something seems like a great way to code/admin the night away.

what about adding crushed NoDoze, or StayAwake, 200mg caffeine pills to the brew? i figure with each cup of coffee around 100mg of caffeine/8oz cups->12oz beers->10beers/gallon->1500mg/gallon->about 8 pills per gallon in a batch... now, caffeine content per cup varies widely, and those "5hr energy" drinks say they have the equivalent of about 2100mg caffeine in one dose... which is a !@#load. so i figure doubling this to 16pills/gallon is a good idea to make sure you can tell its in there.

now, the pills would have to be dissolved into some liquid before adding, say with priming sugar... any chemists in here think it would settle out, and not stay in solution during carbonation?

and then again... why not just take 2 pills, then drink the beer...

Caffeine is bitter. Caffeinated water, and probably liquid caffeine, should have masking agents to hide the bitterness. A crushed up tablet would be gross.

fredstock99 said:
what about adding crushed NoDoze, or StayAwake, 200mg caffeine pills to the brew? i figure with each cup of coffee around 100mg of caffeine/8oz cups->12oz beers->10beers/gallon->1500mg/gallon->about 8 pills per gallon in a batch... now, caffeine content per cup varies widely, and those "5hr energy" drinks say they have the equivalent of about 2100mg caffeine in one dose... which is a !@#load. so i figure doubling this to 16pills/gallon is a good idea to make sure you can tell its in there.

now, the pills would have to be dissolved into some liquid before adding, say with priming sugar... any chemists in here think it would settle out, and not stay in solution during carbonation?

and then again... why not just take 2 pills, then drink the beer...

I'm a chemist, I think caffeine is bitter but would be masked by the hops, say in an ESB or so. I also think it would be a bad idea to put nodoze in there as there are a lot of binders and such that hold the pills together. You might be surprised at just what won't dissolve in water/beer. Better to extract some tea with dichloromethane and then sublime it onto a cold finger condenser for purification. There's a freshman chem experiment that does just that.

when I'm drinkin coffee I want to wake up. When I'm drinkin beer I want to get a little relaxed. personally I don't think the two would mix but willing to give it a try.

Why not go out and just add some Lysergic acid diethylamide?:cross:
It might be tough to focus, but You could stay awake for days, without the side-effects of the alcohol in the beer.

Glibbidy said:
Why not go out and just add some Lysergic acid diethylamide?:cross:
It might be tough to focus, but You could stay awake for days, without the side-effects of the alcohol in the beer.

'Cid always made me drink a case of beer-putting it INTO the beer is like putting the horse INTO the cart...

Back