Alternative heating element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSKBeerfan

Reaction score
I am looking for a suitable alternative or a source for the heating elements Kal calls for in his "Electric Brewery" I have searched high and low and can't find the camco #02963 5500W 240VAC - 4500W seems to be available but would take more time to heat which I would like to avoid.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

I have a couple on order from plumbingsupply.com. They are backordered, but I was told they should come in beginning of March.

Thanks, I will check them out, a few sites I have visited indicate there no longer available and though I read where they were discontinued... which had me worried.
I figured Kal is buying them up to stock his builds...ha ha...
I will check out the link provided, thanks!

If you are not limited by kettle dimensions, look for a straight element design. You can also find ones similar to the curvy Camco, search for Reliance or Rheem elements.

Yea, Amazon and just about every plumbing outfit I can find is out of stock.
Kal has created a demand for a lot of products! Stainless QD's are also difficult to find in stock right now...

I went with the Camco 02933 . It's straight, not wavy, but supposedly is also ULWD. I haven't gotten it mounted yet, so I can't provide action feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with the Camco 02933 . It's straight, not wavy, but supposedly is also ULWD. I haven't gotten it mounted yet, so I can't provide action feedback.

plumbingsupply.com has that listed as low watt density, not ultra-low. Probably doesn't make a difference as far as scorched wort, but not sure about dry firing ability. In any case, I'm sure it will work just fine for you. If plumbingsupply isn't able to get me the 02963 I'll most likely go with the 02933.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back