Kitchen Sink Faucet to Dispense Beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullka

Reaction score
I know this sounds as ghetto as it gets but I was talking with a buddy last night about making a keg cooler out of a whiskey barrel. I have seen several ideas online for this and it should be easy to make. All of there designs use beer taps coming out the side or a beer tower coming out the top. But, we had the idea of using a small bar sink mounted flush in the top. My question is, as weird as it sounds, can you use a standard kitchen sink style faucet to dispense beer? We could hook up the beer line directly to the cold water connection on the faucet and use the handle to start and stop the flow just like you would with water.
Has anyone been crazy (or dumb) enough to try this, or think it will work?
We only plan on using it a few times.
I know it will look ghetto, but we think that will make it hilarious :ban:

No, you want a very easy pour with little to no disruption. You will not get that with a kitchen faucet. That and cleaning it will suck.

I agree with klug! It may sound like a cool idea, but with any sink-like faucet you'll have beer that will stay in the line and be exposed to air (for who knows how long between fills), and the cleaning would be a top-shelf pain in the a$$! Plus, the plumbing for a faucet is very hap-hazard when it comes to dealing with anything other than water. You have many points and places that will create turbulence and thus foaming within the process - from the connection points with the control valves to the faucet plumbing. It's not designed to handle anything with CO2 (or any gas for that matter) in liquid suspension.

In any case, if you were to do this as a stunt/joke you would definitely want to remove the aeration filter/mesh from the faucet outlet (the part that you can twist off of any faucet) at the minimum. That will do nothing but create foam (beyond what the rest of the plumbing will do already)!

This kind of setup is best used for mixed liquor drinks (like vodka lemonade, cosmos, margs, or martinis) that don't have any carbonation to them.

Just my 2¢...

No way I say go for it! Though obviously get rid of the screen from the kitchen sink faucet.

I think you'd want to be able to have the faucet fully open ASAP. Relying on the "bartender" to open the faucet to max could be dicey. Imagine this... a push-button operated sink faucet beer dispenser.

Also, I can see an issue with a lot of beer trapped in a big swan neck kitchen sink faucet, but you could maybe put in a little drain/relief valve at the base of the faucet to drain out the beer that would get warm in the faucet.

May as well make it a dual faucet....hot and cold...or ale and other ale? This might not be such a terrible idea...please try it and report back.

How about the Delta Touch faucet? That way, you set the handle for how strong you want the flow, etc, then you just touch it, and it comes out at the right flow, fully open ASAP. Plus, it would be pretty damn awesome.

And the idea for a dual faucet- if you can pull this off, think off the possibilities-
Stout and Pale ale for a Black and Tan.
Cider and Lager for a Snake bite
IPA and apricot blonde for a Hopricot
Etc...

AND you could dial in the proportions...

What about a drinking water style faucet?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018MVYPY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

318AiM7vbOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the help!
This at least gives me some hope, we had talked about having 2 beers being able to come out of the same faucet and thought that would be pretty cool too!
I will try running some beer through a faucet or two and report back to everyone along with pictures of the build.
Thanks again

Heh - that would be a nice addition to anyone's kitchen sink - hot water, cold water, beer... :) Right now 'm using a side-by-side fridge for my kegs, one of which just has plain carbonated water in it - I'm thinking of hooking that into the in-door water dispenser.

I don't think I'd dispense beer through it, though. The clean-up between batches could get messy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty awesome idea, maybe not practical but it'll be real funny. It brings me back to the days of elementary school when the class president promised to put Coca-Cola in the water fountains... except better, with BEER!

Back