Dropped my stocking hat!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isatrsf

Reaction score
So I have cooled down the wort to about 80 degrees. I go to dump my wort into the primary fermenter and my damn stocking hat falls off my head into the wort. Did i just totally mess this batch up? If this works out i'm going to call it stocking hot stout!

Thanks in advance for any help. :mug:

Slight chance of infection, but you never know until you try!

WTF is a stocking hat, btw?

stocking hat is made out of cotton, used to keep your head warm. Not sure what you southerners would call it lol!

A beanie?
Beanie-Hat-12264964681.jpg

what are the tell tale signs of infection? This is only my second batch, first one is in my secondary.

yeah thats pretty much a stocking hat, mine is a bit bigger. If i wasn't so damn bald i probably would have had a bit more friction lol!

You'll know during/after the fermentation. Mostly, it'll just taste horrible. Don't assume it's infected based on looks, always taste it.

LOL.

That is a funny, no offense. I bet it will be just fine, especially if it starts fermenting right of way. One thing I learned is that there is always going to be bad yeast in your beer, but if your good yeast, the yeast you've pitched, takes off and reproduces quickly, it should push most of that bad yeast off to the side. So hopefully your yeast will move anything bad off to the side and it won't have a chance to reproduce.

Still, that is funny stuff. I hope it turns out because you'll never replicate it. And, you can post your recipe.

"After wort has cooled, pitch on stocking hat into the brew for 20 seconds and remove."

"After wort has cooled, pitch on stocking hat into the brew for 20 seconds and remove."

I think you're missing a couple critical steps if you really want to recreate it: "After wort has cooled, pitch on stocking hat, curse for 20 seconds, remove, continue cursing" :p

Back