First AG, need hop recommendations.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasszy

Reaction score
10 lbs Maris Otter English 2 row
1 lb Crystal 50
0.5 lb Crystal 15
0.5 Cara Pils

WLP007

As to hops, I have the following: (list not complete, but will update soon)
cascade
sarachi
zeus
lublin
saaz
challenger
willamette

So this is my first attempt at AG, and I dont want to complicate things to much. So how about some hop recommendations to make this a winner!

Cheers

Lucas

I don't know what type of beer you like, but those ingredients look like a tasty and strong american pale ale. I'd go with 1.5-2oz oz Cascade (full boil) or challenger hbu equalivant, .5 oz cascade at 15 minutes left in boil, then 1oz williamete for aroma. I like a fruity hop character and aroma. Just my thoughts.

Looks like an English pale to me with that yeast and using MO.

From your list, use Willamette through and through. If you have EK Goldings or Fuggles those would be great too.

1oz - 60
.5oz - 30
.5oz - 2
.5oz - Dry Hop

I don't know what type of beer you like, but those ingredients look like a tasty and strong american pale ale. I'd go with 1.5-2oz oz Cascade (full boil) or challenger hbu equalivant, .5 oz cascade at 15 minutes left in boil, then 1oz williamete for aroma. I like a fruity hop character and aroma. Just my thoughts.

Well, This all just went into the MLT for the last 45 minutes, and Im quite proud to say that I hit my SG spot on with the beersmith recipe. Beersmith called for a preboil SG of 1.043, and I got 1.044.

Now for the boil and see where we stand in the next hour.

For my first AG batch, Im quite happy and excited.... And we're also making spent grain bread with the breadmaker.

Happy AG brewer!

Lucas

From your list, use Willamette through and through. If you have EK Goldings or Fuggles those would be great too.

1oz - 60
.5oz - 30
.5oz - 2
.5oz - Dry Hop

I would agree on the English pale ale, I would bitter with the Challenger and finish with the willamette.

1oz - 60
.5oz - 30
.5oz - 2
.5oz - Dry Hop

I'm with you UK for sure (American Pale ale??????????? What?)

I would agree on the English pale ale, I would bitter with the Challenger and finish with the willamette.

I'd go with Challengers for the bittering as well

The reason I suggested american ale was because of the 12lb grain bill. Most of my english ales are lower. I also like to use english malts in my high hop ales. The toasty character of the malt and the floral and citrusy character of american hops are a real treat. Just my 2 cents.

Back