The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great story, but based only on this tale, I don't think it's fair to call him a "prick." Misinformed or ignorant maybe, but not a prick. He saw what he perceived as illegal activity going on in his neighborhood, so he reported it. Nothing wrong with that. If I saw someone ACTUALLY distilling, or cooking meth in their garage, I'd report it too. If it turned out he was just making his own cough syrup, does that make me a "prick," or just ignorant regarding the techniques and equipment involved in making your own cough syrup?

That said, I doubt this was an isolated incident, and I'm sure you have other perfectly good reasons for forming such a negative opinion of this particular neighbor.

2nd time he has called me making beer in my front yard. He also dumped my peace offering beers in front of me. As well as calling "code enforcement" because my boat and trailer were on my driveway and not on the side of the house(trailer tongue has to be behind forward most facing wall of house) Only enforced "IF" someone complains. So I may be a bit jaded. He has since tried to petition my other neighbors to make it illegal to make alcohol in our area(lucky were not in a HOA) I heard that he only got 2 signatures out of the 36 homes in our subdivision:D

^ If you're not in an HOA, who the heck is enforcing all those "codes"?

Crap like you're putting up with reminds me why I live where critters outnumber people...

Cheers!

It's an old(County) rider code to keep people from having RV's and 5th wheels camped out over the winter. Snowbirds would have to stay in RV parks and campsites. His next door neighbor has his boat in the driveway "BUT" no one has complained so there it sits. :D

Yup,just like the HOA here...very much like the movie Liar Liar. "what's your problem shmuck?!" " I'm an inconciderate PRICK!!" ...'nuff said.

Neighbors sometimes suck. That's what privacy fences are for.

And shotguns.

Got a great comment on some brew-related equipment today. My Dad came by to take me to lunch with my Grampie and uncle, so I was showing off the brewery-in-progress.

He didn't say much, but he did keep taking the lid off my massive boil kettle and looking inside it. When I opened up the ferment chamber-in-progress (which is doubling as "extra brewing crap storage"), he pointed at the 2 liter soda bottle filled with water that I've been using to monitor the temperature fluctuations in the closet and said..

"Is that a bong?"

"Is what a bong?" I asked.

"That." Pointing at the soda bottle.

"No, Dad. That's a soda bottle."

"Oh." He paused. "It looks like a bong."

"You just like saying "bong", don't you?"

He just looked at me.

lol

And shotguns.

"Is that a bong?"

"Is what a bong?" I asked.

"That." Pointing at the soda bottle.

"No, Dad. That's a soda bottle."

"Oh." He paused. "It looks like a bong."

"You just like saying "bong", don't you?"

He just looked at me.

lol

Sounds like he's hinting at something to me... sounds like a Workaholics scene. :drunk:

From Bud Light drinkers.... "What is it that I'm tasting?" - referring to hops....

My response is simply.. "Beer".

Let Swmbo taste some N West style IPA. She responds "eww, tastes like I'm chewing on a Hydrocodone. "

A recent interaction with a bartender at a pizza joint that serves some local brews.

Me: what's new?
Her: We've got a new beer from Martin House called River House.
Me: Oh yeah? What style is it?
Her: it's their Texas Scion
Me: a Saison?
Her: nah. They call it a Texas-style Scion
Her: *hands me a promo card clearly stating "River House Saison"*
Me: What the hell, pour me a Scion.

m gf tells me ipas taste like lady bugs.... i dunno

I gotta be honest, The only real exposure to IPAs before homebrewing were Alexander Keith's pale ale (maybe it's just Canadian). Anyways. it's LOW on the hoppage and not representative of the style. Not bitter at all. I brewed a few IPAs from Kits, not really liking the outcome as I though there were kinda..I dunno...bitter. So I started buying some IPAs at the beer store to get a frame of reference since some cans listed the IBUs. After brewing a batch and drinking a few IPAs, I decided I didn't like IPAs. in fact the bad batches were better than the stuff I paid to try at the beer store. Had a 'Hop Mason' at a local pub and honestly, it was way too bitter. So I don't fault anyone for having a negative reaction to lots of hops if they're not used to it. I only had 3 sips of my hop mason before giving up. And I'll drink anything. Anything but a really bitter IPA. Personal preference and frame of reference is key to a lot of likes and dislikes. For most people, if it tastes different than any beer you've every tried, they it's not 'real beer', right? Same with coffee, or anything else you can think of.

My army buddy said that my last batch of beer tasted like "Sundew that dripped off the nipple of Aphrodite her self". I take that's a good thing since she is the Greek god of love.

I wish we had more teenagers like that over here, they might be ignorant busybodies but here you would get beaten up for a copper pipe, they steal that stuff even if it's nailed down!

After reading I came upon this and remembered when I was in HD buying some copper coil for my IC, there were a group of guys looking at all the copper piping and I heard one of them say, "we should buy this copper and than melt it down and sell it for scrap". I was laughing so hard on the inside when I heard that..

After reading I came upon this and remembered when I was in HD buying some copper coil for my IC, there were a group of guys looking at all the copper piping and I heard one of them say, "we should buy this copper and than melt it down and sell it for scrap". I was laughing so hard on the inside when I heard that..

I say stuff like this all the time to give people stories to tell others.

I gotta be honest, The only real exposure to IPAs before homebrewing were Alexander Keith's pale ale (maybe it's just Canadian). Anyways. it's LOW on the hoppage and not representative of the style. Not bitter at all. I brewed a few IPAs from Kits, not really liking the outcome as I though there were kinda..I dunno...bitter. So I started buying some IPAs at the beer store to get a frame of reference since some cans listed the IBUs. After brewing a batch and drinking a few IPAs, I decided I didn't like IPAs. in fact the bad batches were better than the stuff I paid to try at the beer store. Had a 'Hop Mason' at a local pub and honestly, it was way too bitter. So I don't fault anyone for having a negative reaction to lots of hops if they're not used to it. I only had 3 sips of my hop mason before giving up. And I'll drink anything. Anything but a really bitter IPA. Personal preference and frame of reference is key to a lot of likes and dislikes. For most people, if it tastes different than any beer you've every tried, they it's not 'real beer', right? Same with coffee, or anything else you can think of.

Yea i agree it seems like people either like or hate ipas.... I think there is a universal ibu limit where most people start to turn their noses

Yea i agree it seems like people either like or hate ipas.... I think there is a universal ibu limit where most people start to turn their noses

There are lots of great IPA's and lots of crappy IPA's. IPA's are a style that I love at least once or twice a week, but not much more than that. And it really has to be a good IPA, different, well made, not just something that claims I'm not worthy or that it has 178 IBU's, or it's off-centered. Just give me a very bitter, hoppy IPA, but don't give it to me very often.

Visiting the in-laws for Labor Day. Brought down an ESB and a Blonde Ale.

Here's what my FIL did to my ESB.

"I like my beer COLD!", he said.

OY!

image.jpg

After a massively beer-productive week (5 gallons of bitter, 3 gallons of pilsner, 5 gallons of saison) I was in the driveway finishing up a batch of root beer for my three year old son, as a reward for helping me wash out 80 bottles the previous day. Wort's been chilled, yeast's been added, and I'm letting it sit a minute while I uncouple the burner from the tank and put things away. My drunkard neighbor materializes at the foot of the driveway, swaying slightly, and watches us in silence for nearly five minutes. I ignore him.

Then I pick up my copper wort chiller.

"What y'workin'on, neighbor?" he slurred.

"Root beer," I replied.

"Yeah, right." He put his hands on his hips, staring blearily at me. Shortly after he went inside, and the shrill voice of his girlfriend could be heard, completely unintelligibly.

"I dunno what'e's doin'," my neighbor roared back. "Lemme alone!"

Recently I was getting to know some of my neighbors in my new apartment. I offered them some of my homebrew, which at the time, was a trippel. One guy asked me if it was an IPA. *facepalm*

A friend of mine who drinks Belgian Ales... and has given me several, not really knowing what he's drinking.... I gave him a rather hoppy pale ale - could be an IPA I suppose... but definitely a pale ale... and definitely hoppy.

"Too bitter. I really don't like an ale"

BTW... I'm not really a "make my beer as bitter as I can" sort of brewer. I like a balanced beer most of the time, but I do like a really cold IPA from time to time.

I love to give an IPA to a Bud Light drinker who has been bugging me to DEATH to let him try one of my beers. When he winces, I tell him simply... "that ain't no Bud Light my man."

Visiting the in-laws for Labor Day. Brought down an ESB and a Blonde Ale.

Here's what my FIL did to my ESB.

"I like my beer COLD!", he said.

OY!
He wasn't man enough to drink it straight up so he had to water it down with ice. Next time pour some Currs Light into a brown bottle, serve it to him and see how he reacts.

He wasn't man enough to drink it straight up so he had to water it down with ice. Next time pour some Currs Light into a brown bottle, serve it to him and see how he reacts.

Hi-larious, I think every homebrewer should mess with their friends in this such way at least once

One of the lawn care guys,after sampling 3 different home brews since the previous week asked "you got anymore of those Butt Lights with the lime in it?" DOOOOH! :smack:

One of the lawn care guys,after sampling 3 different home brews since the previous week asked "you got anymore of those Butt Lights with the lime in it?" DOOOOH! :smack:

"Yep, but I left it with a buddy at the corner store. You wanna go pick it up?"

And you DIDN'T FIRE HIM for such insipidness?

My favorite one is still from a friend I hadn't seen in 15 years

"Is it good or does it taste like homebrew?".

I always answer "both! Too bad you won't find out"

Why do some people in this day and age of craft beers assume homebrew is made with by throwing a dirty gym sock in a bucket of koolaid (ala pruno)?

You know; I have a spare 3rd tap on my tower (can only fit 2 kegs in the keggerator). I think I am going to throw a tap handle on there and lable it "Prison Wine".

I went to Chili's for dinner.
Asked the waitress how the Sam Adams Octoberfest was.
She said "I don't like it, it has too much coriander".
LOL

Guy talking about the available craft beer at his curling club.
Me: "Did you try the amber? It's a good beer."
Him: "nah, dark beers give me a headache"
Me: "well, that doesn't really make sense, but fair enough. Did you have the pilsner?"
Him: "no, just stuck with Coors light. Can't go wrong with Coors."

Back