Brass fittings on Mash Tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm brewing up an IPA this weekend and I've noticed that the brass valve and fittings that I have on my MLT have some corrosion on them, like they're tarnished. Has anyone had instances of this causing off flavors in beer? I'm wondering if I should upgrade to Stainless before saturday....

I don't have any probs but I did this before using:

"A small amount of lead is added to brass to make it easier to machine, and this can be removed from the surface of your fittings by soaking the brass in a 2:1 mixture of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Soak until the brass takes on the appearance of dull gold (5 to 15 minutes). If the solution starts to turn green, replace it. This process is probably not necessary, but it makes me feel better and it makes the brass look really nifty." (Source: John Palmer.)

Discoloration is good, powdery corrosion is bad. I have brass in my MLT, a copper wort chiller and an aluminum boil pot. All of them are discolered (seasoned) and should not be scrubbed to a shiney new look. As long as they dont build up with corrosion all is good.

I went to all stainless but did it over time. I don't think it will hurt anything to leave them on your equipment as long as you clean them every time you brew.

Back