Turkey Brine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmbrewernw

Reaction score
I know it's a little early to start thinking of Thanksgiving but I like to plan ahead. Anyone have a good recipe for brining a turkey? I thought I read about someone using hard cider in their brine (could possibly use Edwort's Apfelwein). Also can you deep fry a brined turkey? I had really good luck last year with deep frying it was a real crowd pleaser.

Yeah, hang it and put a fan in front of it for about 2 hrs. You don't have to worry about spoilage if it has been brined, at least not in that short of a time. Water and hot oil, youch! Instant vaporization.

Alton's recipe up there works very well. I also like his orange juice brine:

Alton Brown Orange Juice Brine

1 qt vegetable stock, chilled (regular, not low sodium - that's important)
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp black peppercorns (I usually use more like 1 tbsp, but I like pepper)
2 bay leaves
1 qt. orange juice, chilled
2 qts. ice water

Bring 2 cups of the stock, the salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, and bay leaves to a boil. Dissolve the sugar and salt, and cut the fire. Add in the remaining stock, orange juice, and ice water. Once the brine has cooled to 40F or under, add the meat and keep in a cold place (under 40F). Brine for 8-48 hours.

This is enough for 2 chickens, one turkey, one pork butt, or about one tenderloin. For chickens, I like to skin and cut into quarters. You can fit one chicken's worth of quarters in a one gallon Ziplock baggie with enough room for brine. If I don't use the Ziplock baggies, I put everything in a food grade plastic bucket.

I regularly leave meat in this brine overnight with great results, and I do not hesitate to leave it over two nights.

TL

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm thinking the orange juice brine sounds tasty. I'll definitely be drying the turkey water and hot oil don't mix well.

I made his regular non orange juice brine and my turkey was epic. It also helped that we used hypodermic needles to inject butter into it (the good thing about having a mom in the healthcare industry).

Here's the brine I use, then after a couple of days in the brine I'll throw it on the smoker:
Beer Brine

4 Quarts Beer (I'll use a good homebrewed bock or even a pils works well)
4 Quarts Ice or Water
2 Cup Kosher Salt
1 Cup Sugar
4 Bay Leaves
3 BunchsThyme, fresh
3 Yellow Onion, peeled and chopped
3 Stocks Celery, sliced
3 Carrots, peeled and sliced
2 Lemon, quartered
4 Garlic Cloves, peeled and sliced

8 cups boiling water
zest of 3 oranges
1 cup honey or maple syrup
4 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon molasses
1 Spanish onion, cut in half then sliced
3 bay leaves
20 whole black peppercorns
1 head garlic, split in half
1/3 cup fresh ginger root, chopped
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
Fresh Thyme

Place all the brine ingredients in a bowl and let cool.
Add the turkey, cover and refrigerate for 24-36 hours.

I have used this quite a few times, and tweaked it to where I like it. Sometimes I add some beer, or white wine in place of some of the water.

With beer it is not so important, but when marinating meat with wine, or anything stronger, alcoholic, you should burn the alcohol off before you put it on the meat.

And Brining and frying is THE way to go. I love brines and sausage making. I just made a turkey pastrami that rocks. :rockin:

Luck

I have brined for several years. This does make a big difference in flavor. I don't like gravy made from brined drippings it is way too salty.

I don't fry I roast but no issue with either.

Here a few other thoughts.

Resting after cooking for at least 45 minutes makes a bigger difference with adding to juiciness. Like a homebrew patience is a virtue.

I roast my turkey breast side down. This exposes the dark meat to direct heat. The dark meat needs to be cooked to higher temp anyway. This also means the juice runs into the white meat while it cooking. This does make it look little less Normal Rockwell-esque. But slice it before it comes to the table.

Don't stuff the bird. It will take the turkey too long to cook. That and you could get food poisioning.

I have a few. Since I smoke my birds (yes and the hard part is keeping them lit!!!) I use the first one the most...

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Smoked Turkey Brine[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This brine recipe makes enough for a whole turkey and will add flavor and give you a juicier and more tender bird.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 gallon water [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 cup salt (1½ cups Kosher or coarse salt) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]½ cup sugar [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]6 fresh tarragon leaves or ¼ cup dried tarragon [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 teaspoon black pepper [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]PREPARATION:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The water you use should not be chlorinated. If you don't have easy access to good spring water. Boil it first, let the water cool and then add all other ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Place Turkey in large non-metallic dish and cover completely with brine. Let sit in refrigerator for 1 hour per pound. Remove Turkey from Brine, rinse thoroughly and dry. Coat with olive oil. Place in Smoker.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Savory Turkey Brine[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This turkey brine gets a portion of its salt from vegetable stock. The combination of spices and herbs will give your bird a rich flavor.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2 quarts vegetable stock [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]½ cup salt (¾ cup Kosher or coarse salt) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 tablespoon dried rosemary [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 tablespoon dried sage [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 tablespoon dried thyme [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2 quarts cold water[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]In a large pot combine vegetable stock, salt and herbs over a medium heat. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the salt is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Add cold water. Place turkey in a large plastic container. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Pour brine over top, cover and refrigerate. Brine for 1 hour per pound.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Apple Spice Brine[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A brine is typically water and salt with a little sweet to give it flavor. This brine uses fruit juices for water providing flavor and sweet at the same time.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 gallon cold water [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2 quarts apple juice [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2 quarts orange juice [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2 cup salt (3 cups Kosher or coarse salt) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]½ cup brown sugar [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]10 whole cloves [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 tablespoon ground nutmeg[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Pour apple and orange juice into a large pot over a medium heat. Add salt, brown sugar, cloves and nutmeg. Simmer for 15 minutes until salt and sugar are completely dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Add cold water. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Place poultry in a large plastic container. Pour brine over top. Brine poultry for 1 hour per pound. Keep refrigerated.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Fruity Turkey Brine[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The citrus fruit in this brine not only add a great tangy flavor but also act to tenderize the meat of the poultry. The mild acid of the lemon will help to carry flavors deep into the meat.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 lemon [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 orange [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 onion, cut into thick slices [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]4 cloves garlic, crushed [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]4 bay leaves [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 tablespoon dried thyme[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Take two cups of the water and place in a saucepan. Bring to a low boil. Add salt and stir to dissolve. Pour into a large pot. Cut lemon and orange into [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]⅛[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]ths. Squeeze juice into pot and drop in citrus pieces. Add all remaining ingredients. Keep refrigerated until you are ready to use. Place poultry and brine in a large plastic container. Keep refrigerated. Brine for 1 hour per pound.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Holiday Poultry Br[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]ine[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This poultry brine is perfect for the holiday turkey. By using stock you get extra flavor with a mild saltiness that makes for a perfect brine.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1¼ cup salt (2 cups Kosher or coarse salt) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]½ cup brown sugar [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 gallon vegetable stock [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 tablespoon black peppercorns [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 tablespoon allspice berries [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]½ tablespoon candied ginger [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 gallon ice water[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Pour vegetable stock into a large pot over a high heat. Add salt, brown sugar, and spices. Bring to a light boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Pour in ice water and stir to combine. Place turkey in a large plastic container (at least 4 gallon). [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Pour brine over top. Refrigerate and brine for 1 hour per pound.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Maple Brine[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This brine can be used on any kind of poultry and pork.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]4 quarts water [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2 cups dark brown sugar [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 cup soy sauce [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 cup maple syrup [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]¾ cup sea salt [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]8-10 whole cloves garlic, peeled [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]6-8 whole bay leaves [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]3 large sprigs of thyme [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2 teaspoons whole peppercorns[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Place all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil, dissolving sugar and maple syrup. Remove from heat and allow brine to cool completely before using.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Clove and Honey Brine for Turkey[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This brine will give your turkey a subtle sweetness and all the tenderness and moisture of a good poultry brine.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 large bag of ice [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 gallon hot water [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2 quarts chicken broth [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 pound salt [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 pound honey [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2 tablespoons whole cloves[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Combine salt and hot water until it dissolves. Add honey, broth, and cloves to mixture. Once thoroughly mixed, add ice. Brine for 1 hour per pound.[/FONT]

But wait, there's more!

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Hawaiian-Style Turkey Brine[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Here is another turkey brine for you to try. This one is a bit different since it uses sweet ingredients. The pineapple juice works well to tenderize the turkey meat.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]4 quarts pineapple juice [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2 cups brown sugar [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1[/FONT]⅓ [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]cups soy sauce [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 cup light maple syrup [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 cup salt (1 1/2 cups Kosher or coarse salt) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]6 cloves garlic, cut into halves [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]4-6 whole bay leaves [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2 tablespoons red pepper, crushed[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Combine all ingredients. Place turkey in large dish or container and pour brine over. Cover and allow to brine for 1 hour per pound.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Poultry Brine[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 cup brown sugar [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]peppercorns [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 onion [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 carrot [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]bunch of scallions [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 hot pepper[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Add enough water (about 1½ gallons) to cover the bird. Place water and ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Add poultry, cover and brine for 1 hour per pound.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Poultry Brine[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This brine works with the added power of pickling spices which increases the moisture in poultry with some great seasonings for more flavor.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]½ cup white vinegar [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]3 tablespoons brown sugar [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 tablespoon pickling spice [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 teaspoon black pepper [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 teaspoon allspice [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 teaspoon garlic powder [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 teaspoon tarragon [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Dissolve salt and brown sugar in water in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Allow to cool. Add vinegar and spices. Brine for 1 hour per pound.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Good Eats Turkey[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Brine[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 (14 to 16 pound) frozen young turkey [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]For the brine: [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1cup kosher salt [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]½ [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]cup light brown sugar [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]gallon vegetable stock [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1tablespoon black peppercorns [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]½ [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]tablespoon allspice berries [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]½ [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]tablespoon candied ginger [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]gallon iced water [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]For the aromatics: [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1red apple, sliced [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]½ [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]onion, sliced [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]cinnamon stick [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1cup water [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]4sprigs rosemary [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]6leaves sage [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Canola oil[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Combine all brine ingredients, except ice water, in a stockpot, and bring to a boil. Stir to dissolve solids, then remove from heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Early on the day of cooking, (or late the night before) combine the brine and ice water in a clean 5-gallon bucket. Place thawed turkey breast side down in brine, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area (like a basement) for 6 hours. Turn turkey over once, half way through brining. Remove bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard brine. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Turkey Brine [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This is a tasty brine for any poultry. It will make your bird very juicy, and gravy to die for!! This is enough brine for a 10 to 18 pound turkey.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Ingredients[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 gallon vegetable broth [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 cup sea salt [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 tablespoon crushed dried rosemary [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 tablespoon dried sage [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 tablespoon dried thyme [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 tablespoon dried savory [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 gallon ice water [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]PREP TIME 5 Minutes[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]COOK TIME 15 Minutes[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]READY IN 8 Hrs 20 Minutes[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]DIRECTIONS[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]In a large stock pot, combine the vegetable broth, sea salt, rosemary, sage, thyme, and savory. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently to be sure salt is dissolved. Remove from heat, and let cool to room temperature. When the broth mixture is cool, pour it into a clean 5 gallon bucket. Stir in the ice water. Wash and dry your turkey. Make sure you have removed the innards. Place the turkey, breast down, into the brine. Make sure that the cavity gets filled. Place the bucket in the refrigerator overnight. Remove the turkey carefully draining off the excess brine and pat dry. Discard excess brine. Cook the turkey as desired reserving the drippings for gravy. Keep in mind that brined turkeys cook 20 to 30 minutes faster so watch the temperature gauge.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Cranberry Turkey Brine[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What better to brine a turkey in than cranberry?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2 quarts cranberry juice [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 quart water [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 cup salt (1 1/2 cups Kosher or coarse salt) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]½ cup apple juice [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]½ cup orange juice [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]12 cloves garlic, unpeeled and lightly smashed [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]4 springs fresh thyme [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]4 sprigs fresh rosemary [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]6-8 bay leaves[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Combine ingredients and place in a large pot. Add turkey to pot, making sure that brine covers turkey. If not, add more water to mixture. Brine for 1 hour per pound.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]18 servings [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]20 minutes prep [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]12-14 lbs turkey, washed and cleaned out [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 cup kosher salt or sea salt [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]¼ cup table sugar or brown sugar [/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]quarts water [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Combine 2 quarts of water in a 6 quart pot with salt and sugar, over high heat until dissolved. If wanted, add other seasonings at this time. Let come back to room temperature. You will need 2 gallon turkey size oven roasting bags. Place one roasting bag inside the other, roll down the edges of the bags to help them stay open. Put bags in a heavy roasting pan that will hold turkey. Place turkey breast side down, with legs facing you in the inner bag. Some help from another person at this point would be of help, they can hold the bags open for you as you pour the cooled brine into the cavity and over the turkey. Gather the inner bag as tightly as possible and secure with a twist tie. Secure outer bag with twist tie. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Refrigerate in the roasting pan for 12-18 hours. Remove from bags, rinse very well, pat dry with paper towels. It's now ready for your favorite recipe. [/FONT]

I've found that you can use the same salt/sugar/water ratio, for turkey, and just change the seasonings. For beef, or pork, you might want to change the ratio and time.

Saves having so many different recipes.

OK here is what I have done for years and I'm actually cooling my brine right now for my oven baked turkey. My rule is 1 c sugar, 1 c salt (see note) and 1/4 c lime or lemon juice or a Tbl viniger per gallon of water. I have fryed turkeys with this same brine as well as baked and BBQ, but if you decide to bake it don't plan on using the broth left over for a gravy or adding to your dressing, its to salty. I brine for three to four days and be sure to rince with cold water befor BBQing, frying, or baking. (Here is the "NOTE:) Subistitute 1/3 of the salt for a seasoning of your choice to add flavor. When the brine breaks the natural salt "barrier "(thats what I call it) in the meat it will let the brine exchange salts with the meat and let the flavors you have added to the brine deep into the meat. I use this rule with Chicken, Turkey, and briskets. When I brine my briskets I use the whole cup of salt for the brine because I have a home made brisket rub that I don't add salt to. A good over the counter spice to sub. 1/3 of the salt for chickens and turkeys in McCormick rotessire chicken seasoning. I know it kinda takes the " I made it from scratch" factor out of it but it works well. If you want my salt free BBQ recipe for a brisket send me a PM. My BBQ seasoning also is a great adition to beans. It make the beans tast a bit like ranch style beans if you add a bit of chilli powder to it. Let me know if you try out the recipe.
Al

Holy crap guys I forgot about starting this thread and now there are all kinds of recipes! I guess I better get cracking on brining my turkey soon, just picked it up yesterday.

Recipes To Get You Started
Here's an all-purpose recipe from Cook's Illustrated magazine that works well with chicken and pork.
All-Purpose Brine
1 quart cool water1/2 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt1/2 cup sugar
Mix in a non-reactive container until dissolved. Substitute 1/4 cup + 2 TBSP Morton Kosher Salt or 1/4 cup table salt for Diamond Crystal.Make 1 quart of brine for each pound of meat, not to exceed 8 quarts (2 gallons). Soak meat for 1 hour per pound, but not less than 30 minutes or longer than 8 hours. If brining multiple pieces, base the brining time on the weight of an individual piece.
Here's another recipe from Cook's Illustrated for high-temperature roasting, broiling or grilling. The lower sugar content results in less burning during cooking. The salt content has also been reduced.
High-Temp Brine

1 quart cool water1/4 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt 2 tablespoons sugar
Mix in a non-reactive container until dissolved. Substitute 3 TBSP Morton Kosher Salt or 2 TBSP table salt for Diamond Crystal.Make 1 quart of brine for each pound of meat, not to exceed 8 quarts (2 gallons). Soak meat for 1 hour per pound, but not less than 30 minutes or longer than 8 hours. If brining multiple pieces, base the brining time on the weight of an individual piece.
Due to its bland flavor, turkey really benefits from flavor brining. Here's a basic brine that will work well for a turkey in the Weber Bullet or in the oven.

Basic Turkey Brine
(8-12 Hour Brining Time)
2 gallons cool water2 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
Mix in a non-reactive container until dissolved. Substitute 1-1/2 cups Morton Kosher Salt or 1 cup table salt for Diamond Crystal.Optional: 1/2 cup sugar (white or brown) can be added for each gallon of water.Brine for 8-12 hours. Pat turkey dry with paper towels before cooking.
Here's a high-strength brine recipe from Cook's Illustrated that cuts brining time to just 4-6 hours.

High-Strength Turkey Brine
(4-6 Hour Brining Time)
2 gallon cool water4 cups Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
Mix in a non-reactive container until dissolved. Substitute 3 cups Morton Kosher Salt or 2 cups table salt for Diamond Crystal.Brine for 4-6 hours. Rinse turkey thoroughly inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels before cooking.
Finally, here's a brine recipe from Alton Brown of "Good Eats" on Food Network.

Good Eats Turkey Brine
1 gallon vegetable broth1 gallon heavily iced water1 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt1/2 cup brown sugar, packed 1 tablespoon peppercorns1/2 tablespoon allspice berries1/2 tablespoon candied ginger
Use regular vegetable broth, not low- or no-sodium varieties. Substitute 3/4 cup Morton Kosher Salt or 1/2 cup table salt for Diamond Crystal.Combine all ingredients except ice water in a large pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve. Remove from heat, let mixture come to room temperature, then refrigerate to 40°F.In a large non-reactive container, combine the mixture with 1 gallon heavily iced water and stir. Place rinsed, drained whole turkey into the brine. Use a heavy weight to keep the bird submerged, if necessary. Refrigerate for 6-8 hours. Turn the bird over once during brining.Remove turkey from brine, rinse, and pat dry. Apply a thin coat of canola oil before cooking.

Apple Brine For Turkey
2 quarts apple juice1 pound brown sugar (light or dark)1 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt3 quarts cold water3 oranges, quartered4 ounces fresh ginger, unpeeled and thinly sliced15 whole cloves6 bay leaves6 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
Substitute 3/4 cup Morton Kosher Salt or 1/2 cup table salt for Diamond Crystal.Combine apple juice, brown sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve. Boil for one minute, remove from heat, let mixture come to room temperature, then refrigerate to 40°F.In a large non-reactive container, combine the apple juice mixture with the remaining ingredients. When adding the oranges, squeeze each piece to release the juice into the container, then drop in the peel.

Shake's Honey Brine
1 gallon water1 cup kosher salt2 TBSP Morton Tender Quick1 cup honey 3 bay leaves1/4 tsp ground cloves1/2 tsp pickling spice
Combine all ingredients in a large pot and heat to 160°F. Temperatures above 160° will harm the flavor of the honey. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Makes about 1 gallon of brining solution.Morton Tender Quick is a meat curing agent containing salt, sugar, sodium nitrate, sodium nitrite and propylene glycol. It can be found at butcher supply stores or ordered from Allied Kenco.

Breast
Apple Juice Turkey Brine breast
1 gallon apple juice, chilled1 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt1/2 cup honey3/4 cup granulated sugar1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
Mix in a non-reactive container until dissolved. Makes 1 gallon of brine. Substitute 3/4 cup Morton Kosher Salt or 1/2 cup table salt for Diamond Crystal.

You guys are missing the obvious solution.
Apfelwein = Turkey Brine.

Mix som salt with it, and give it a shot on chicken....then roast the chicken to see. You'll love it.

Oh really? I just may have to give this one a go, I'm not in short supply with apfelwein.

I always brine the birds I don't plan to fry in an orange blossom honey brine. It has apple juice, water, a little soy sauce, orange zest, bay leaves, and nutmeg. And lots of salt, of course.

I never thought about using beer in the brine. That might be worth a try, but maybe on a baking hen before trying it with a turkey.

Dude, you're a homebrewer. Use some freakin' beer!

Homebrew Chef: Beer Brined Turkey

yeah I was thinking of doing that I actually have a beer on tap that I don't particularly enjoy that would be perfect, but I was kind of thinking that the apple from the apfelwein would give the bird a good flavor, I don't know that all of my guests would like the taste of beer.

Buy a minimally processed turkey after thanksgiving when they are no sale and try it with beer. Heck, I might do that too.

BTW, if you are going to brine a bird, you need to buy one that hasn't been injected with broth or flavorings. Look for "minimally processed" on the label.

Buy a minimally processed turkey after thanksgiving when they are no sale and try it with beer. Heck, I might do that too.

BTW, if you are going to brine a bird, you need to buy one that hasn't been injected with broth or flavorings. Look for "minimally processed" on the label.

only processing done to the birds were are doing is gutting, removing the feathers and looking for buckshot....lol

my wife prefers fresh turkey's from the farm about 10 miles from my house so we do one of each. The farm raised turkey is a little moister but also tastes I don't know "fatty" compared to the wild ones . Just like cow to venison .

The fresher the better, springer, no question about that. Another item on my growing list of home craft endeavors I want to learn is how to properly kill, de-feather, and gut a bird. First I gotta get some chickens...

The fresher the better, springer, no question about that. Another item on my growing list of home craft endeavors I want to learn is how to properly kill, de-feather, and gut a bird. First I gotta get some chickens...

If the turkey is already dead as in shot you need to field dress it just like any other game .

then when you get home all you have to do to remove the feathers is scaled the carcass in some 150* water only takes a minute and the feathers will pull out easily. There will be little feathers that look like fuzz on the bird just take a propane torch and singe it off without heating the shin or meat

Back