Keezer and collar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alemental

Reaction score
I scored a chest freezer from Craigslist that is over 6 feet long. It is tall enough to user for kegs as is, but I don't want to drill through the sides, so I am making a wooden collar for it for the faucets & such to pass though. I foresee wanting to remove the collar in the future and reverting to the original configuration. Any suggestions as to how I can attach the collar reasonably securely without drilling screw holes but still leaving the rim of the freezer smooth enough for the original lid seal to work?

I made one for mine a while back to avoid the drilling issues. Works great. Used 2x4s for the interior and stained oak 1x6s and 1x4s to dress it a little. Had to cut the 1x6s a little in the back for the hinges but it worked great. Added a bead of silicone to seal; easy to come off if necessary. Thinking of putting some foam insulation board on the inside of the 2x4s...

10040-kegerator02.jpg

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Nice job, firebrewer. I was considering using silcone, but was uncertain if it would handle it. If it works for you, it should work for me.:mug:
Thanks.

Nice job, firebrewer. I was considering using silcone, but was uncertain if it would handle it. If it works for you, it should work for me.:mug:
Thanks.

No problem. :mug: Forgot to mention, I used little corner brackets on the inside corners of the 2x4s (you can see one in the picture). Used wood screws drilled from the inside to hold the outside on (just long enough to hold but not long enough to go all the way through ;) ) Can probably get away with liquid nails for the 1x6 fascia, or both.

Good luck! Post pics of the progress and completed project! :D

Back