Do I need two regulators?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I just my whole set up, and I'm on day three of force carbonating my first keg (pretty exciting stuff!). I'm getting ready to start kegging my second beer which is just now done fermenting. I only have one regulator, so if I completely disconnect beer one from the gas, will it be alright so long as I don't release the pressure? If I get a second regulator can I have one carbonating at 15 psi, and one pressure for dispense at 8? I do have a splitter so that I can dispense two kegs at once, but I don't think I want to be dispensing @ 15 psi! Look out dog!

It all really depends on how you "engineer" your system.

If you want to carb at differing pressures but do not want to mess with having to disconnecting and re-set the guage then yes 2 or more regs will achieve that luxury :)p ).

I might suggest you look at a low pressure in-line guage for that. They are pretty cheap compared to the high pressure reg that connect to the bottle.

As far as dispensing pressures. There are different methos for that. Many wil carbonate at a high pressure to get it done quickly and then back the pressure down for dispense.

Others, me included, calculate the temp, pressure, and line resistence in a way that will allow the pressure to stay constant but put enough resistence in the lines to minimalize foaming.

See www.micromatic.com "Balancing a Direct Draft system" for details.

Back