Filet Mignon with Port Wine Reduction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Filet Mignon with Port Wine Reduction

2 good cuts of beef tenderloin (filet mignon), 1 to 2" thick
3/4 cup of your favorite port wine (a relatively inexpensive ruby variety works fine)
1/8 cup sliced onion
1/8 cup Craisins dried cranberries (original flavor)
1 Tbsp butter
Dash of Balsamic vinegar
1 sprig fresh parsley, chopped (skip it if you're using dried...yuck)
Salt and pepper
Water as needed

Heat a dry, heavy skillet over very high heat. Season the filets liberally with pepper and sear for 2 minutes per side. Remove the meat from the pan, and set it aside.

Reduce the heat to medium and deglaze the pan with a couple of tablespoons of water, whisking all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan, making a brownish, gravy-like liquid. When the liquid is nearly evaporated, and the pan has cooled a bit, add the onions, sweating them until soft and translucent. Add the wine and bring to a fairly vigorous simmer. You can flambé at this point if you want to add a bit of flair to your cooking (be careful, it's really not necessary, but it's fun).

When the alcohol has mostly evaporated (volume reduced by about 1/4 and/or your flambé is no longer sustainable), add the Craisins, and bring the meat back to the pan. Cook the meat another 2 to 4 minutes per side, until it's done to your liking (filet mignon really benefits from being cooked slightly more rare than you normally enjoy your steak). If the liquid in the pan reduces by more than 1/2, add a few tablespoons of water to reconstitute the sauce. Don't let the pan go dry!

Remove the meat from the pan when it's done. Add the vinegar and a few pinches of salt to the sauce. Reduce to about 1/4 cup, and whisk in the butter. Turn the heat off, add the parsley, and serve the sauce over the meat (don't worry, it should be thin).

Pair with a rich, complex beer - perhaps one that's wood aged or even a sour variety. A deep red wine with a crisp dryness would also work. I served a spinach salad with a light vinaigrette on the side. Finish the meal with a touch of port wine as a digestif. A chocolate/raspberry dessert would really round out the evening.

If your significant other enjoys a good steak dinner, this one is guaranteed to win you some serious points!

tenderloin.jpg

Actually no, that post was one of those "it sounded funnier in my head" posts. I did see someplace, can't remember if it was the InterTubes or TV, where someone did try to either ferment a steak or ferment a batch of beer with a steak in it. Either way, my recollection is that the results were far from stellar.

Very Nice recipe Yuri. I am also thinking that this recipe that you have would be an amazing twist for a Beef Tournadoes, and then for the top a Goose liver patt'e

Gonna make this tonight. The only two varieties of port available at the only Sunday-open liquor store were the beyond-my-means nice bottle and the midnight-hobo giant bottle, for a third the price. So I'm making it with Midnight Hobo. I'll let you know.

Glad you guys are enjoying this one. I made a variation today; I deglazed the pan with 1/2 bottle of Abita Purple Haze (instead of port), then I added about 1/4 cup of pure pomegranate juice and a bit of red wine vinegar. The rest of the sauce procedure remained the same, just the liquids changed. Again, it was a winner!

filet.jpg

The pepper is a small poblano chile, split and seeded, then simply filled with shredded cheddar cheese and baked. The beer is Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye - an excellent companion.

Back