All Brett stuck fermentation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhot55

Reaction score
Recently did an all brett golden ale- much akin to "the muse" by saq, with some minor changes. Stepped up starter using WY Brett Lambicus. Stepped up starter from 500ml to 1L then to 2 L. Each step was about 5-7 days at room temp (65). Mashed at 149. My OG was 1.056. It has been 4 weeks, and the gravity is at 1.020. Initially fermented at 65 then let it climb into the low to mid 70's after a day or 2. Left it low mid 70's for about 3 weeks and let it come back down to room temp (which was cooler than normal- 60*). I figured it should've pretty much been close to done anyway and another couple of weeks would've finished it up by a couple of points. But 1.020 seems waaaaaay tooooo high. Was expecting 1.008 to max of 1.013 at the most.

Ay ideas? Swirled it again to try and get brett active. Should I bring up temp ? Pitch a clean yeast to finish. I'm sure most will say. Leave it a couple of and see if it comes down because brett works slow, especially the last several points.

I've found Brett very unpredictable. I've run the same strain of Brett-B with similar worts and had attenuation's between 67% and 80%. It is very frustrating.

For the one that only went 67% (1.060 to 1.020), I tossed in half a cake of PacMan yeast after a couple of months to finish it off. I don't have my notes, but I think it bought it down to a respectable finish around 1.010.

I was concerned that it might cause the Brett to act as a secondary yeast, but it didn't. It had none of the 'rustic' brett flavors, even after a year in the bottle.

How about trying to finish it with a second pitch of a different Brett, like Brett C? Anyone ever try this?

Back