AG GF Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powmonster

Reaction score
This recipe is based on another stout on this forum:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/classic-oatmeal-stout-88634/

Because the extract potential of Millet and Buckwheat is lower than barley, I am using the same amount of grain and reducing the finished batch size to come closer to the OG (5.5 gal to 4.5 gal). Also, I am increasing the Crystal because of gelatinization temps of GF grains reduce the ability to create a true crystal. The grains were purchased from Colorado Malting Company (except the raw amaranth used for the roasted grain component). GF grains from CMC come as pale malt and are not "clean" (they contain the roots and shoots still). So there is a fair amount of prep the brewer must do prior to mash. I just finished roasting my raw amaranth and should be ready to brew this in 6 weeks.

Looking for any feedback or suggestions based on your experiences with Stouts (this is my first) and/or GF AG brewing and/or use of Amaranth as this is also new to me. Thanks!

8# pale millet malt
2# pale buckwheat malt
1.5# raw Oats
1# oz partial Crystal (dark caramunich millet malt)
12 oz Chocolate (chocolate buckwheat Malt)
8 oz roasted amaranth (500srm)
1.6 oz East kent golding - 60 min boil
1.5lbs rice hulls
Irish Ale Yeast - WLP004

This is what I ended up brewing with as I was trying to get rid of some of my older grain:
4# pale millet malt
1# pale amaranth malt
1# amber buckwheat malt (home malted/roasted groats)
12 oz Chocolate (chocolate buckwheat Malt, home roasted)
12 oz Crystal (dark caramel millet malt, home roasted)
6.6 oz roasted amaranth (500srm, home roasted)
2# raw Oats

1/2 tsp amalyze enzyme (to assist the natural enzymes)
1.6 oz East kent golding - 60 min boil
1# 2oz rice hulls, it needed another .5# probably, had issues w/ lauter
1.5lbs sorghum syrup

Irish Ale Yeast - WLP004

3.75 gallons, OG 1.064, FG 1.020
Brewed: 12/19
secondary: 12/24
Bottled: 12/28

Upon bottling it was very sweet and a bit harsh. Not bad, but not really drinkable. I will open a bottle later this month and post results.

Latest posts

Back