Enough Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky7s

Reaction score
I've been away from homebrewing for 8 years and have misplaced some notes. I am brewing a holiday ale from extract kit (MoreBeer). I am going to ammend the recipe by adding 1 - 1.5 lbs. corn sugar and 1 nlbs. honey (last 15 mins) along with orange and lime zest at flameout and orange in secondary fermentation. Question is....will 1 6gm pkg of yeast be enough or do I need to double up?

I've been away from homebrewing for 8 years and have misplaced some notes. I am brewing a holiday ale from extract kit (MoreBeer). I am going to ammend the recipe by adding 1 - 1.5 lbs. corn sugar and 1 nlbs. honey (last 15 mins) along with orange and lime zest at flameout and orange in secondary fermentation. Question is....will 1 6gm pkg of yeast be enough or do I need to double up?

Just go to MrMalty.com and put in your predicted OG and volume of beer. Without the recipe, I'd be surprised if 6g was enough, assuming it's a normal gravity recipe before the sugar and honey addition.

What size is the batch, and what does the rest of the grain bill look like? If the estimated OG is over 1.050, you should probably pitch two packets of yeast or make a starter the day before pitching.

Use your corn sugar and honey sparingly, as each is nearly 100% fermentable and will definitely thin and dry out your beer. If you're after a higher alcohol content, use LME/DME instead of the corn sugar to preserve the body and depth of your beer. If you're after the honey flavor, use an adjunct malt such as honey malt to give it that honey sweet flavor. If you add real honey to the beer, it's more fermentable than maltose, so the yeasts are going to eat through that first before having to adapt to maltose as food. This causes the yeast to stress a little when it does that, increasing your odds for "off" flavors in the final product. If you insist on using honey, there's no need to sterilize it first. Add it to your primary fermenter after the krausen has fallen and then cold crash the beer after a few days to preserve some of that honey sweetness. Otherwise, the yeasts will just burn through it and you wind up (again) with a thinned out dry beer.

Recipe = 5 gal:
8# ultra light malt extract
8 oz crystal 120L
8 oz caravienne
4 oz honey malt
2 oz special B
2 oz black roasted

Estimated OG 1.052 -56
Estmated ABV % - 5.17

I am really after the honey aroma and just a hint of taste. At least this how I remember my last similar spiced ale. Is 1# too much? An ABV of 6-ish is goal. Should I just eliminate the corn sugar?

Back